Home > West Bengal > Universities > Kolkata > University of Calcutta (CU)
University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata, West Bengal
University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata, West Bengal
Address: Plot / Street / Area
Senate House, 87 /1 College Street
Kolkata (District Kolkata)
West Bengal, IndiaPin Code : 700073
University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal is a University recognised by UGC. University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal is also known as Calcutta University. University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal was established on / in 24 January 1857.
University of Calcutta (CU) is situated in Kolkata of West Bengal state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Kolkata comes under Kolkata (Calcutta) Tehsil, Kolkata District.
Fax # of University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal is 033 2241 0071.
email ID(s) is
Website of University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal is www.caluniv.ac.in/,www.caluniv-ucsta.net.
Chairman : Off.: +91-33-22193761 Res.: +91-33-232143279.
General Secretary : Dr. Amit Ray.
Vice Chancellor : Prof Suranjan Das Telephone: Off.: +91-33-22413288 Res.: +91-33-23582389.
Registrar : Prof Basab Chaudhuri Telephone: .
Contact Details of University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata West Bengal are : Telephone: +91-33-22410071, 24106741
* Faculty of Agriculture
* Faculty of Arts
* Faculty of Commerce, Social Welfare & Business Management
* Faculty of Education, Journalism and Library Science
* Faculty of Engineering & Technology
* Faculty of Fine Arts, Music and Home Science
* Faculty of Law
* Faculty of Science
University of Calcutta has fifty five departments organised into eight faculties â€” Agriculture; Arts; Commerce, Social Welfare & Business Management; Education, Journalism and Library Science; Engineering & Technology; Fine Arts, Music and Home Science; Law and Science.
The faculty of Agriculture consists of the sole department of Institute of Agricultural Science and offers post graduate courses on agronomy, horticulture, Genetics & Plant Breeding and Seed Science & Technology among others.
The Arts faculty consists of 21 departments offering courses on several Indian (including Sanskrit and Pali) and foreign languages, linguistics, ancient Indian history and culture, Islamic history and culture, South & South east Asian studies and many more.
The departments of business management and commerce are under the faculty of Commerce, Social Welfare & Business Management. Courses on journalism and mass communication, library & information science are offered by the faculty of Education, Journalism and Library Science through three departments.
Faculty of Engineering & Technology includes the departments of applied physics, chemical engineering, chemical technology, computer science and engineering, polymer science and technology, radiophysics and electronics, and computer centre.
Home science is the sole department in the faculty of Fine Arts, Music and Home Science, offering courses on subjects such as food and nutrition, human development, home science.
The faculty of Law comprises only one department of law while the faculty of Science has nineteen departments. The latter faculty offers courses on traditional science subjects like physics, chemistry, botany and also on subjects like biotechnology, microbiology, bioinformatics, marine science etc.
Calcutta University offers undergraduate, postgraduate as well as PhD programmes. Science and business disciplines offered by the University are in high demand as these fields are expected to have better job opportunities. Most of the programs are organized on an annual basis, though some programs use semester system. Most of the University departments offer masters programmes that are one or two years in duration. Research programmes offered by the University are conducted in specialized institutes as well as individual departments. Admission process in Calcutta University generally starts in the month of July and lasts till August.
Some of the departments of this University:
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION,College of Law,
Department Of Business Management, University College of Science and Technology,
Calcutta University College of Science and Technology
Calcutta University College of Law
Profile of University of Calcutta (CU)Profile
Formally established on the 24 January 1857, the University of Calcutta (also known as Calcutta University), located in the city of Kolkata (previously Calcutta), India, is the first modern university in the Indian subcontinent. It is a state-government administered urban-based affiliating and research university. It has its main campuses in College Street, Rajabazar, Alipore, Hazra, South Sinthi and a host of affiliated colleges in greater Kolkata.
Glorious though it is, the University of Calcutta is not simply a prisoner of its past. Instead of basking in the reflected glory of its early achievements, it is always surging ahead, breaking new grounds and setting high standards. This is amply testified by the conferring of the coveted â€˜Five Starâ€™ status by NAAC in 2001, followed by other recognitions from India and abroad. The latest achievement is its recognition as the 'Centre of Excellence' by the University Grants Commission. These are indeed fitting tributes to the ceaseless quest for excellence by the University of Calcutta.
History of University of Calcutta
University of Calcutta is the oldest of the modern universities in India. It was founded in 1857 during the administration of Lord Canning (1856â€“1862), the Governor General of India. Dr Fredrick John, the education secretary to the then British Government in India, first tendered a proposal to the British Government in London for the establishment of a university in Calcutta, along the lines of London University, but at that time the plan failed to obtain the necessary approval. However, a proposal to establish two universities, one in Calcutta and the other in Bombay was later accepted in 1854 and the necessary authority was given. The Calcutta University Act came into force on 24 January 1857 and a 41-member Senate was formed as the policy making body of the university. When the university was first established it had a catchment area covering the area from Lahore to Rangoon (now in Myanmar), and Ceylon â€” the largest of any Indian university.
The first Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor of the Calcutta University were Governor General Lord Canning and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Sir James William Colvile, respectively. In 1858, Joddu Nath Bose and Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay became the first graduates of the university. On 30 January 1858, the Syndicate of the Calcutta University started functioning. The first meeting of the Senate was held in the Council room of the Calcutta Medical College. A temporary office of the university was started in a few rented rooms in Camac Street. For several years afterwards the meetings of the Senate and Syndicate were held in a room of the Writers building. 244 candidates appeared for the first Entrance Examination of the university, held in March 1857 in the Town Hall of Calcutta. In 1862, a decision was taken by the Senate to construct for the university a building of its own. Accordingly, the historical Senate Hall was constructed at a cost of Rs. 2,52,221/- and inaugurated on 12 March 1873 by holding the convocation of the university.
In 1857 Nawab Jassa Singh Ahluwalia Government College in Kapurthala, Punjab province of British India became one of the first colleges to be affiliated with University of Calcutta. Later many institutions came under its jurisdiction. Kadambini Ganguly and Chandramukhi Basu became the first lady graduates of the country in 1882. The Hon ble Justice Gooroodas Banerjee became the first Indian Vice-Chancellor of University of Calcutta in the year 1890. Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was the Vice-Chancellor for four consecutive two-year terms (1906â€“1914) and a fifth two-year term (1921â€“23).
The university has several campuses spread over the city of Kolkata and its suburbs. The university also has many affiliated colleges spread over the southern West Bengal. The main campus of the university, located on College Street, is spread over a small area of 2.7 acres (much less than a square kilometer).
The main campus is also known as the Asutosh Siksha Prangan, and contains Darbhanga Building, Asutosh Building, Hardinge Building, and the Centenary Building. The Rashbihari Siksha Prangan (also known as University College of Science and Technology or popularly Rajabazar Science College), located on Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, houses several scientific and technological departments, e.g., pure and applied chemistry, pure and applied physics, applied mathematics, psychology, physiology, biophysics and molecular biology, to name a few.
Taraknath Siksha Prangan (also known as University College of Science or Ballygunge Science College) on Ballygunge Circular Road in the southern part of the city houses the departments of agriculture, anthropology, biochemistry, botany, genetics among others. Other campuses are Hazra Road Campus, University Press And Book Depot, Sahid Khudiram Siksha Prangan, B. T. Road Campus, Viharilal College of Home Science Campus, University Health Service, Haringhata Campus, Dhakuria Lakes (University Rowing Club) and University Ground and Tent at Maidan.
The university has a plan to create a 'Techno Campus', to bring together the engineering and technical departments under one roof, in Salt Lake.
Main Campus Area - 2.7 acres (approx.)
Satellite Campus Area - 16 acres (approx.) excluding
Hazra Press - 1.3 acres
Goenka Hospital Diagnostic Research Centre (Outdoor Clinic) - 0.6 acres
Halls/Hostels - 4.5 acres
Staff Quarters - 4.33 acres
Haringhata Ionosphere Field Station - 19 acres
Baruipur Agriculture Farm - 67.07 acres
Proposed Technology Campus - 4.2 acres
A tradition of notable firsts
A tradition of notable firsts
The Centenary Library at the College Street campus overlooking College Square.
The library was built on the place of the previously existing University Senate HallThe first university located to the east of Suez to teach European Classics, English Literature, European and Indian Philosophy and Occidental and Oriental History.
The first medical school of Asia, the Calcutta Medical College was set up in 1835. Later it was affiliated to the university.
The first college for women in India, the Bethune College was set up in 1879.
The nation s first homeopathy college was established in 1880.
The Science College was established in 1917, the first in India.
The first blind school in India came into being in 1925.
The first university museum in India, The Ashutosh Museum, came into being in 1937.
The Government Arts College was established in 1951.
The Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management (IISWBM) was set up in 1953 as the country s first management institute.
Backward Classes Welfare Cell
The University established a BCW Cell on 06.02.1990 to implement the policies and programmes of the Govt. of India and University Grants Commission for providing facilities to the S.C./S.T./O.B.C. candidates. The Cell was initially formed with financial support of UGC and approval of the Govt. of West Bengal. However ,at present the entire financial assistance is provided by the State Govt. The Cell is headed by a Deputy Registrar. The administrative staff and other facilities to the Cell are being provided by the University from its own resource. For effective implementation of govt. policies and on the basis of the directives of the UGC the University has formed a Standing Committee under Chairmanship of the Vice-Chancellor and the Deputy Registrar as its Member-Secretary. The other members of the committee are from Professors (2-3 persons), Readers (1-2 persons), Lecturers (1-2 persons) of University departments, the Principals (3-5 persons) of affiliated colleges and a representative of the State Govt. The Committee holds its meetings at a regular interval to review the problems of S.C./S.T./O.B.C. communities attached to this University and help to find out the possible solutions. The Cell takes utmost efforts to implement the reservation policies for admission to U.G./P.G. courses of the University. The Cell also monitors the reservation policies in case of recruitment and promotion of teaching and non-teaching staff of the University as far as practicable. For the past two years, with the assistance of UGC, the Cell is conducting coaching programme for the S.C./S.T. candidates willing to appear at NET and other competitive examinations and remedial coaching for final year P.G. Students.
Education and Research
Undergraduates enroll for a three-year program. Students are assigned to a major when they enter the university, and cannot change it later. Science and business disciplines are in high demand, as these fields are perceived to have better job opportunities. Most programs are organized by years, though some programs use a semester system. Most departments offer masters programs that are one or two years in duration. Research in the university is conducted in specialized institutes as well as individual departments, many of which have doctoral programs.
The university has 18 research centers, 650 teachers, 3000 non-teaching staff and 12,400 post-graduate students
Established in 1857, during the administration of Lord Canning, the Governor General of India, the University of Calcutta is the oldest of the modern universities in India. Officially on the 24 January 1857, it was established as the University of Calcutta or Calcutta University.
University of Calcutta is a state government administered affiliating and research university that has been recognized as a Centre of Excellence by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The main campus of the university is located at College Street in Kolkata while and several other campuses are spread over the metro and its suburbs.
University of Calcutta located in the Kolkata is a university of repute. While the College Street campus is the seat of administration, the University has its campus in Rajabazar, Alipore, Ballygunge, Hazra, South Sinthi and in a number of colleges affiliated to the University. It is a `state government administered urban-based affiliating and research university`.
The University is the oldest amongst the modern universities in India. The history of the University goes back to the colonial period. It was established by the then Governor General of India, Lord Canning in 1857. Governor General Lord Canning and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Sir James William Colvile became the first Chancellor and Vice Chancellor of the Calcutta University respectively. The University of Calcutta has eight faculties divided into fifty-five departments. The faculties are Agriculture, Arts, Commerce, Social Welfare & Business Management; Education, Journalism and Library Science; Engineering & Technology; Fine Arts, Music and Home Science, Faculty of Law and Faculty of Science. The Faculty of Agriculture offers postgraduate courses on agronomy, horticulture, Genetics & Plant Breeding and Seed Science & Technology.
University of Calcutta The College street campus, which is spread over an area of 2.7 acres is also known as Ashutosh Siksa Prangan and consists of four buildings Darbhanga Building, Asutosh Building, Hardinge Building, and the Centenary Building. It consists of the Faculty of Arts consisting of twenty-one departments. The Faculty of Education, Journalism and Library Science organized through three departments are also located here. The University College of Science and Technology or popularly Rajabazar Science College is also known as Rashbihari Sikhsa Prangan. It houses the faculty of engineering and technology includes the departments of applied physics, chemical engineering, chemical technology, computer science and engineering, polymer science and technology, radiophysics and electronics, and computer center.
The University College of Science or Ballygunge Science College is also called the Taraknath Siksha Prangan. It consists of the departments of anthropology, biochemistry, botany, and genetics and many more. The faculty of Fine Arts, Music and Home Science offers courses on subjects such as food and nutrition, human development, home science. The Faculty of Law consists of the department of Law. The Faculty of Science is organised under ninteen departments which includes core science subjects like physics, chemistry, botany and also on subjects like biotechnology, microbiology, bioinformatics, marine science etc.The Faculty of Commerce, Social Welfare & Business Management consists of the departments of business management and commerce.
Some of the other campuses of the University are University Press And Book Depot, Sahid Khudiram Siksha Prangan, Viharilal College of Home Science Campus, University Health Service, Haringhata Campus, Dhakuria Lakes (University Rowing Club) and University Ground and Tent at Maidan.
This University has produced many great scholars and therefore has a rich alumni base. A brainchild of the British rulers in India, University of Calcutta only attained excellence during the vice chancellorship of Sir Ashtosh Mukherji. With a number of achievements in its kitty, the most notable one is the setting up of the first management institute in the country, which is the IISWBM or the Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management.
One of the most important of all Kolkata Universities, the University of Calcutta, also known as the Calcutta University, has bagged in the award for the 'Potential for Excellence' from the University Grants Commission or the UGC. The colleges affiliated to University of Calcutta are around 300 in number some of which are self financing in nature.
The University of Calcutta is one of the oldest universities in the nation being 150 years old. Established in the year 1857, the main campus of the Calcutta University is in College Street in Kolkata, known as the Asutosh Shiksha Prangan.
The University of Calcutta (also known as Calcutta University) is a public university located in the city of Kolkata (previously Calcutta), India, founded on 24 January 1857. It was the first modern university in the Indian subcontinent. It is a state-government administered urban-based affiliating and research university. It has its central campus in College Street (called Ashutosh Shiksha Prangan). Its other campuses are in Rajabazar (called Rashbehari Shiksha Prangan), Ballygunge (called Taraknath Palit Shiksha Prangan), Alipore (called Sahid Khudiram Siksha Prangan), Hazra and South Sinthi.
The University of Calcutta which is also known as Calcutta University was established on 24th January 1857. The University is the first modern university in the Indian subcontinent. It is a state-government administered urban-based affiliating and research university. The University is a member of The Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It has now 58 Post Graduate teaching departments and 209 affiliated colleges, serving about 300,000 students.
Library About Us
Although the University of Calcutta was formally launched in 1857, it had no permanent building of its own, at least in the early years. It might be recalled that the University was initially authorized only to hold examinations and award degrees. In those rudimentary stages of its growth, library, museum and other common facilities did not receive as much attention as they deserved. It was only after the University got a permanent home of its own in 1872 that attempts were initiated for the setting up of a library. Its nucleus was formed out of a small gift of Rs. 5000 by Joykrishna Mukherjee, the public spirited Zamindar of Uttarpara. While donating the money in 1869 he expressed the hope that a small library could be set up by the University. At about the same time Esan Chandra Ghose donated a small collection of books to the University. These efforts marked a small but auspicious beginning.
In 1874-75, an addition of Rs. 3,500 was made to the Library Fund, the total amount of which at that time exceeded Rs. 9,000. The Syndicate considered that a commencement should be made of the building up of a library stock with this sum, the problem of accommodation of the Library having been solved by the completion of the Senate House. A committee comprising Mr. Tawney, Mr. Heeley, Captain Jarret and Mr. Sutcliffe, was formed which reported that the sum was so small that it was impossible to attempt to build a library stock which in any sense could be termed complete. They were, therefore, of opinion that the Calcutta University Library collections should exist as supplementary to other existing libraries in Calcutta especially the newly founded Indian Museum Library. At that time there was no library containing a suitable collection of books except the Indian Museum Library. As technical libraries of Law and Medicine already existed in Calcutta and English literature, Mental Philosophy and many other subjects were represented in several collections of books available to all or most of those who were likely to have recourse to a University Library, the Committee recommended that the sum might be distributed among different subjects in the following way:-
The report of the Committee was accepted by the Syndicate and the University Library occupied one of the two side rooms of the Senate House building. It may be pointed out that the University's income in those days was very small. In 1874-75 the total income amounted to Rs. 96,290, out of which the contribution of the Government was Rs. 47,316. The University Library continued in its humble way till the passing of the University Act in 1904 and the appointment of Sir Asutosh Mookerjee as Vice-Chancellor.
The Calcutta University Act of 1904 provided a special clause which empowered the University to maintain Libraries, Museums and Art Galleries. Henceforth the University began to allot larger sums towards the purchase of books. The first notable acquisition by the University Library was the purchase in 1909 of the entire Library of Prof. R. Pischel of Berlin. His collections contained practically everything that had been published within the preceding thirty or forty years in Europe and North America in the fields of Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali, Philosophy including comparative Philosophy, in addition to many other works of interest.
As the University activities were expanding in all directions, pressure for accommodation was being increasingly felt. In 1912, the Library had a new home, thanks largely to the munificence of the then Maharaja of Darbhanga. The Central Hall with its side compartments in the first storey as well as the large hall and its side rooms in the second floor were set apart to accommodate the rapidly expanding library collections. About this time, three whole-time Assistants were appointed for the Library. Prior to this there was no whole-time Assistant for the Library during the first few years of its existence, the Second Assistant in the Registrar's office used to look after library matters as a part-time job. In1886 a new Assistant was taken in for the Library and was given the designation of Assistant Librarian but the Registrar continued to be responsible for the administration of the Library.
In 1912 the Government of India contributed a lakh of rupees for the building up of the library stock and agreed to place the University Library on its distribution list for the free supply of all Government publications. In 1913, Sir Asutosh Mookerjee, the then Vice-Chancellor of the Calcutta University, acknowledging the contribution made by the Government of India remarked 'the improvements in the Library have been rendered practicable by means of the funds placed at the disposal of the University by the Government of India.'
The University Library was originally meant for the use of the Resident Fellows only, although permissions were granted from time to time to bonafide research workers to use the Library. Later on, rules governing the use of the Library were revised and included Resident Registered Graduates and University teachers and scholars as well.
When the Post-Graduate Department was opened in 1917, the establishment of a lending section for the use of the students was considered essential and the first disbursement on account of books and periodicals was made as follows:- Rs. 18,048 (Arts) and Rs. 8,393 (Science).
Post-Graduate Lending Library (Arts) was first housed in the ground floor of Darbhanga Building and then in the Asutosh Building till 1935 when it was shifted to the top floor of the Asutosh Building along with the collections of the University Library known as Maharaja Rameshwar Prosad Singh Library. The Library functioned till Sunday, the 5th of March, 1967, in the old premises, i.e., at the top floor of the Asutosh Building. From 6 March, 1967, it started functioning in the newly constructed ten storey building, named the Centenary Building. The composition of the University Library has undergone periodic changes. At present the University Library system consists of the Central Library, two campus libraries, thirty-nine departmental libraries and two libraries of the Advanced Centres. The libraries are spread over seven campuses. Departmental libraries are located within the department concerned.
The University library, at present, has a collection of more than ten lakh books. Besides books, the seven campuses of the University together possess more than 2 lakh volumes of bound Journals, M.Phil. and Ph.D. dissertations, proceedings of conferences, reports, maps, standards, patents, newspapers, manuscripts, microfilms, CD-ROMs. The departmental libraries serve the academic disciplines bearing their names. The Central Library serves the entire University community.
As many as 20 departmental libraries out of a total of 39, have a collection of over 15,000 volumes which includes books, bound journals and non-book materials. The Department of Law Library holds over 85,000 volumes in hard copy. The collection is strong in all aspects with special emphasis on legal history and jurisprudence, business and commercial law, taxation and international business transactions. The Department of Law Library's old journal collections include works in the fields of history and other social and behavioural sciences relevant to legal research. Located at the academic heartland of the city, the Central Library is easily accessible from all the different campuses of the University. The library remains open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. except Saturdays and Sundays when it remains open from 11a.m. to 5 p.m. The library collection is arranged subject-wise.
Images / newspaper cuttings related to University of Calcutta (CU)
M Tech Courses (Admission Notice)