Home > Uttar Pradesh > Universities > Allahabad > University of Allahabad (UoA)
University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Address: Plot / Street / Area
Near Anand Bhawan, Senate Hall
Allahabad (District Allahabad)
Uttar Pradesh, India
University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is a University recognised by UGC. Status: Central University. University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is also known as Allahabad University. University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh was established on / in 23.09.1887.
Principal of University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is Dr. Shikha Yadav.
University of Allahabad (UoA) is situated in Allahabad of Uttar Pradesh state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Allahabad comes under Allahabad Tehsil, Allahabad District.
Fax # of University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is +91-532-2545021, 2461083.
email ID(s) is
Website of University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is www.alldunivpio.org, www.allduniv.ac.in/, www.universityofallahabad.org/.
Chancellor : Dr. Verghese Kurien.
Vice Chancellor : Prof. Prof. Rajendra Govind Harshe, Tel: 0532 2461157/ 1089(O)2545020(R).
Registrar : Mr. Firdous A. Wani Tel: 0532 2461083(O)2250368(R), email@example.com.
Contact Details of University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh are : Telephone: +91-532-2461083, 2250368, 2462242, 2251030, 2462271
Centre of Food Technology, Science Faculty Campus 2460289, 3294123, email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. L.R. Singh, Dean College Development: Email Id: email@example.com
Following are Diffrent Universities:
University of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad
Allahabad State University (ASU), Allahabad
CoursesUniversity of Allahabad (UoA), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh runs course(s) in Doctorate, Business Management stream(s).
Regular Courses by University of Allahabad
Bio-informatics: M.Sc.-Bio Informatics
Food Technology: M.Sc.-Food Technology
Geography: P.G. Diploma-Town- Country Planning
Nutritional Sciences: M.Sc.-Nutritional Sciences
Tourism & Travel Management: P.G. Diploma-Tourism Administration
Allahabad University, Faculty of Law
University of Allabad, Institute of Professional Studies
Profile of University of Allahabad (UoA)The University of Allahabad, the fourth-oldest University of the Republic of India, entered the 121st year of its outstanding services to the nation and humanity on September 23, 2007. The years since its foundation in 1887 have been marked by landmark achievements in the domain of learning and an abiding commitment to high academic standards, the cultivation of values and the search for excellence and perfection.
There are three distinct phases in the evolution of the University. In the first phase (1887 to 1921), it was a centrally-funded Affiliating University exercising jurisdiction over higher and secondary education in a wide area in northern and central India, comprising the present-day States of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan and the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra.
In 1905 it initiated teaching and research under its own aegis, by establishing the Departments of Law (1905), Economics (1908) History (1912), research fellowships, libraries and laboratories. The eminence of the faculty of its teaching Departments, the Muir Central College (the premier affiliate, founded in 1873 at Allahabad) and several other reputed Affiliated Colleges, earned high regard for the University within and outside India. Some of the Colleges themselves matured into Universities the Banaras Hindu University (1916), the Aligarh Muslim University (1920) and the Lucknow and Nagpur Universities (1920 and 1923).
The second phase (1921-1950) began with the reorganization of the University as a provincially-funded unitary teaching University, comprising its own teaching Departments and the Departments of the Muir Central College (which was merged with the University,). The other Affiliated Colleges were initially grouped under the External Wing of the University and then handed over (in 1927) to the newly-incorporated, University of Agra in 1927, and the responsibility for secondary education was transferred (in 1922) to the U. P Board of High School and Intermediate Education. In the ensuing three decades, under the stewardship of celebrated Vice-Chancellors (Sir Ganganatha Jha, Pt. Iqbal Narain Gurtu, Prof. Amaranatha Jha and Prof. Tara Chand) and the academic leadership of illustrious faculty, the University took determined steps to enlarge its intellectual and educational ambit and gave a lead in national emancipation. Several teachers and students played a prominent role in the national struggle, particularly from 1930, and the University solemnly recalls with pride the martyrdom of its student Lal Padmadhar Singh during the Quit India Movement.
The scholars who gave a distinctive flavour to the academic ambience of the University, from its first venture into teaching in 1905, are too numerous to be named individually, and included such legendary figures as Amaranatha Jha, Raghupati Sahai Firaq, SC Deb and PE Dastoor (English), HN Randle, RD Ranade and AC Mukerji (Philosophy), LF Rushbrook Williams, Sir Shafaat Ahmad Khan, RP Tripathi (History), Syed Muhammad Ali Nami and MG Zubaid Ahmad (Arabic and Persian), PK Acharya, Babu Ram Saxena and Kshetresh Chandra Chattopadhyaya (Sanskrit), Dhirendra Verma, Devi Prasad Shukla and Ram Kuma Verma (Hindi), Syed M Zamin Ali and Muhammad Hafiz Syed (Urdu), Beni Prasad Tara Chand, Ishwari Prasad (all three being historians of repute) and AB Lal (Politica Science), RN Dubey (Geography), PS Naidu (Education), Meghnad Saha, KS Krishnan, DS Kothari, Salig Ram Bhargava, RN Ghosh GB Deodhar and K Banerjee (Physics), NR Dhar, Satyeshwar Ghosh and Satya Prakash (Chemistry), AC Banerji, Gorakh Prasad, PL Srivastava and BN Prasad (Mathematics), JH Mitter, Shri Ranjan, RK Saxena and RN Tandon (Botany), DR Bhattacharya and HR Mehra (Zoology), H Stanley Jevons, SK Rudra, CD Thompson, BP Adarka and JK. Mehta (Economics), MK Ghosh and RC Choudhury (Commerce) and JC Weir, MUS Jung, KK Bhattacharya, KRR Sastry and TN Sapru (Law) During this Golden Age, the University was often referred to as the Oxford of the East.
The third phase (from 1950) was pre-figured by the stirring address of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru to the Diamond Jubilee Convocation (1947) of the University, with a timeless invocation on the meaning and purpose of a University and the role the Universities had to play in ensuring the development and progress of India and the well-being of mankind. With the advent of Independence, the University gave priority to the rising expectations of the people for wider access to higher education and keeping pace with the world in higher education, took up concerns crucial to national and social reconstruction. The Seventieth Anniversary Celebrations (1957) were marked by the affirmation to concert intellectual resources for exploring new academic, educational and social horizons while conserving its classical heritage. The Centenary Celebrations (1987) provided the opportunity to reaffirm the goal 01 academic modernization predicated on social responsibility
The University did, however, face difficulties in mobilising resources for the pursuit and fulfilment of its intents and objectives. This paved the way for a concerted campaign, which began with the Seventieth Anniversary and was re-invigorated from the Centenary Celebrations, for the re-incorporation of the University as a Central University. These efforts, which were immeasurably, strengthened by the support of the Alumni in different fields of national life, bore fruit in 2005, with the adoption by Parliament of The University of Allahabad Act, 2005, and its enforcement on July 14, 2005.
This restoration of the original Central Status has inaugurated a new Chapter in the evolution of the University, and occasioned a fresh resolve to realize its earlier stature as an internationally acclaimed institution of higher learning. The University is now poised for exploring new dimensions of institutional accomplishment, by renovating its academic system, reinforcing and augmenting its teaching, research and residential facilities and pursuing social purposes in a coordinated manner, to keep pace with international standards in these areas and endow human resource with the capabilities to serve the nation in the special context of the challenges and imperatives of globalization
Envisaged and founded by Sir William Muir, the then Lt. Governor of United Provinces, Allahabad University started on 23rd September 1887. The evolutionary development of the University can be categorized in there three distinct phases. Starting from the first phase in the year 1887 to 1921, when it existed as a centrally-funded Affiliating University exercising control over the basic level of education via higher secondary and secondary schooling. The second phase of the University started with the reorganization of the University as a provincially-funded unitary teaching University. Finally after independence the University took up concerns crucial to national and social reconstruction and gave importance to higher education. It was granted the status of central university in 2005.
Allahabad University, the fourth oldest university of India, is an educational institution of high pedestal. The University has the distinction of having on its rolls a host of distinguished politicians and statesmen including one President and two Vice-Presidents of the country, two former Prime Ministers, several Union and State ministers, at least four Chief Justices of the Supreme Court, as well as a large number of senior bureaucrats.
Allahabad University has always occupied an esteemed place among the universities of India for over a century now. Established on 23rd September 1887, it is the fourth oldest university of India after Calcutta, Bombay and Madras University.The credit for conceiving a large Central College at Allahabad, eventually to develop into a University, is due to Sir William Muir, then Lt. Governor of United Provinces. As a result of his initiative the foundation stone of the Muir Central College (named after him) was laid on Dec. 9 1873 by His Excellency Lord Northbrook. Sir William Muir said on that occasion: "The establishment of a central college at Allahabad has been my earnest desire ever since I assumed my present office. Shortly after coming here I found that a strong wish prevailed among the chief people of the place for a better means of education at Allahabad; and being myself deeply impressed with the same conviction, I took occasion at the first Darbar which I held here to urge upon those present the necessity of showing that they were sincere and in earnest, by contributing to the work.
The appeal was widely and liberally met, a considerable sum was subscribed and address was presented to me in 1869, praying for the establishment of the college here." On September 23, 1887 Act XVIII was passed which established the Allahabad University. Like the Universities of Calcutta, Bombay and Madras, the Allahabad University also started as a degree conferring institution. Its first entrance examination was held in March 1889. In 1904 the Indian Universities Act was passed which limited the territorial jurisdiction of Allahabad University to the United Provinces of Agra and Awadh, the Central Provinces including Berar, Ajmer, Mewar and most of the states of Rajputana and Central Indian Agencies. Between 1887 and 1927 at least thirty-eight different institutions and colleges of this area were affiliated to Allahabad University. With the promulgation of the Allahabad University Act in 1921, the Muir Central College lost its independent existence. Between 1922-27 the University had its internal and external wings which were subsequently separated from the University to give the latter a purely unitary, and residential character. In fact the Allahabad University was started with a preliminary loan of Rs. 5240/- from the government to meet its expenses. The loans were repaid in two years. Henceforth, its main source of its income was from the examination fees and sale of Prospectus & Calendar. Being an examining body it met its incidental expenses easily.
In 1892-93 the University began to invest some capital in the Government Securities. In 1899-1900 its reserve fund amounted to Rs. 34,000. The University was thus now in a position to construct its own buildings. In 1909 the present site was selected for the Library, the Senate House and the Law college. These buildings, which now house the Registrar's Office, Senate Hall and the English Department, were designed by Sir Swinton Jacob and their construction was approved in 1910. The foundation of the Senate House was laid on 17th January 1910 by Sir John Havett, the Chancellor. The construction of the Senate Hall, the Law College and the former Library building was commenced in 1910 and they were completed in 1915 at the cost of Rs. 11,67,275. In 1923 the Government decided to acquire the property of the Indian Press for the University at the cost of about seven lakh rupees. This property comprised the present buildings of the Philosophy Department, the department of Med./Mod. History and the spacious buildings in which there was formerly the Proctor's Office, Post Office, and some rooms which are shared by the Political Science, Med./Mod. History, Ancient History and Hindi Departments. A few years ago this spacious building was demolished.
The Indian Press property also included a tiled roofed building behind the dramatic hall and a similar type of building near the Political Science department and another building near the English Department. Of these the first two exist now, the third was demolished recently. Since 1911 many new buildings have sprung up in the Senate House Campus and in the Chathem Lines campus. In the senate House Campus the Union Hall, the old Guest House, the building of the Commerce Department, the N.S.S. building, the buildings of the Ancient History Culture and Archaeology Department, Political Science Department, Department of Oriental Languages, Hindi Bhawan, Psychology department, Education department, Geography Department the New Library building are comparatively new constructions. Likewise in the Muir College Campus several alterations and additions have been made from time to time.
Among the new buildings, the buildings of the J.K. Institute of Applied Physics, the new Gymnastic Hall, the new Mathematics Department are some additions. As the years rolled on, the two campuses began to look small. Consequently, the University obtained land from the Cantonment Board to house the department of Business Administration, Law Faculty and Gandhi Bhawan, Recently the bungalow of the late Dr. Bani Prasad has been purchased.
From the beginning the University has been concerned about women's education. It purchased houses for a women's Hostel and College at the cost of Rs. 66,286 and other buildings adjoining the College. While classes for girls were started in the old building, Sarojini Naidu and later Priyadarshini Girls Hostel was constructed for the boarders and recently the Shatabdi Girls Hostel has been constructed to accommodate many more boarders. Ever since the inception of the Muir Central College in 1873, efforts were constantly made to accommodate students coming from distant places. Formerly their were two boarding houses, one situated in the barrack in Malaka near the jail, where the Swarup Rani Hospital now stands.
Later this boarding house was shifted to the tiled outhouse of the Lowther Castle, where the classes of the Collage were held. Finally it was shifted to a large thatched bungalow near the Bhardwaj Ashram. In 1910-11 the Muir Hostel(Now Amar Nath Jha Hostel) was constructed; the Law Hostel (Now Sir Sunder Lal Hostel) was completed on 1914-15; Pandit Ganga Nath Jha Hostel (initially called New Hostel) was completed on 1928; the Hindu Boarding House (Now popularly called Hindu Hostel), which was formerly a straight building between 1902-22 without two wings was also constructed.
About the same time the Oxford and Cambridge courts of the present Holland Hall came into existence. Subsequently, the P.C. Banerji Hostel, the K.P. University College and the Diamond Jubilee Hostels were constructed. A few years back the Tara Chand Hostel was constructed. The Muslim Boarding House (popularly called Muslim Hostel) is the oldest of all these hostels for it was constructed in 1896-97. In this millenium year, the University of Allahabad completes more than a hundred and thirteen years.
A) THE INCORPORATION OF THE UNIVERSITY (1887)
On September 23, 1887 the University of Allahabad, the fourth modern University of India after the Universities of Calcutta, Bombay and Madras (all established in 1857), was incorporated, on the pattern of its predecessors, as an Affiliating and Examining body. (The University of Punjab at Lahore, founded earlier in 1882, is now in Pakistan.) The headquarters of the University, i. e. Allahabad (known as Prayaga from hoary antiquity), had (apart from its ageless importance as the Tirtharaja) won renown in the pre-British period as a nucleus of learning (Hindu, Buddhist, Islamic and secular), governance and trade. The British cultivated the city, after wresting it from the Nawab of Awadh in 1801, as a key administrative, military and commercial centre, and made it the capital of the North-Western Provinces (except during 1836-58, when the capital was at Agra) and later of the United Provinces (UP). From the early years of British rule, the new kinds of professional and economic opportunities that developed here drew talents to the city from all over India. and by the mid-nineteenth century, Allahabad had emerged as a hub of traditional and modern intellectual and educational activities. From the 1870s, it also steadily grew in stature as a key node of nationalism in northern India. The establishment of the Muir Central College (MCC) here in 1872, as an affiliate of the University of Calcutta, placed the city on the map of modern higher education as well. Within a decade of its founding, the MCC had become second only to the Presidency College (Calcutta) in terms of the academic accomplishments of its teachers and students.
The repute of the MCC strengthened the claim of Allahabad to be the seat of the new University that was being planned to relieve the University of Calcutta of the burden of supervising education in northern and central India and to address the educational needs of the region in keeping with its special cultural flavour and social conditions. The University of Allahabad took over from the University of Calcutta an extensive territorial jurisdiction covering the present day States of Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan, and the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. Through its affiliated Colleges, the University provided graduate and Post-graduate instruction and (from the 1890s) opportunities for research in the Faculties of Arts, Science and Law, and later set up the Faculties of Engineering (in 1896, for a short period), Medicine (in1911, but the Faculty was disbanded in 1921, upon the transfer of King George's Medical College to Lucknow University) and Commerce (in 1913). The University was also responsible for conducting the Matriculation (High School) and Intermediate Examinations in the vast territory assigned to it up to 1921, when this function was assigned to newly-established Boards of Secondary Education in UP and other Provinces.
The University adopted the motto QUOT RAMI TOT ARBORES (As Many Branches, So Many Trees), which envisages the desired transformation of each Branch (student) into a full-fledged Tree (a self-realised entity, spreading the intellectual and social culture and objectives of the institution in accordance with the destiny of each Branch to become a Tree in its own right). This credo has exemplified the mission of the University all along the 115 years of its momentous history. The key objectives of the University, as re-stated in the later Allahabad University Act of 1921 and the current Uttar Pradesh State Universities Act of 1973, were (and remain) the provision of instruction and research in different branches of learning and the advancement of knowledge.
(B) THE FIRST PHASE OF DEVELOPMENT (1887 - 1921)
The MCC was recognised as the premier institution of the University of Allahabad, but many other Affiliated Colleges had outstanding academic reputations as well, and several of them matured in time into full-fledged Universities. The Central Hindu College (Varanasi) metamorphosed into the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) in 1916, the Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College (Aligarh) into the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) in 1920, the Canning College (Lucknow) into the Lucknow University in 1920 and the Morris Memorial College (Nagpur) into the Nagpur University in 1923. All Colleges of the University of Allahabad outside UP were transferred to the Nagpur University in 1923, and the remaining Colleges (in UP) to the Agra University after the incorporation of the latter in 1927. Thus, the BHU, the AMU and the Lucknow, Nagpur and Agra Universities, as well as the later offshoots of the Nagpur and Agra Universities, are all lineal descendants of the University of Allahabad.
From its very inception, the University set and affirmed high standards in supervising Colleges, framing syllabi and designing and conducting examinations. The MCC and other affiliates of the University had some of the most illustrious teachers of the time on their staff. The Indian Universities Act of 1904 empowered Universities to appoint Professors and Lecturers and undertake teaching and research on their own. The University of Allahabad took an early lead in this regard by setting up the School of Law (1905), as mainly a teaching and professional training Department, and subsequently the Departments of Economics (1908) and Modern Indian History (1912) for Post-graduate studies and research, and inviting eminent scholars to hold Professorships and other faculty positions. Taking advantage of the enabling provisions of Act of 1904 in this regard, the University took initiatives to erect, equip and maintain Libraries, Laboratories and Museums and promote systematic research, by revising the Regulations for research degrees and instituting Fellowships and other stipendiary research positions.
These steps in fact pre-figured the re-organisation of the University as a unitary teaching institution from 1922, under the Allahabad University Act of 1921, the process culminating in the transfer of its Colleges to the Nagpur and Agra Universities. The MCC, and the University's School of Law and Departments of Economics and History were the nuclei of the reincarnated University.
(C) THE 'GOLDEN AGE' (1921-1951)
The University began its innings as a unitary teaching institution with the Departments of English, Philosophy, History, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu and Arabic and Persian (Faculty of Arts), Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany and Zoology (Faculty of Science), Economics (Faculty of Commerce) and Law (Faculty of Law), staffed by the illustrious teachers of the MCC and of the University Departments. The ensuing three decades, the Golden Age of the University, witnessed the emergence of many new Departments and disciplines, including Political Science, Commerce, Geography, Education and Military Science (later renamed as Defence Studies). The graduate and Post-graduate programmes under the Faculties were reorganised in accordance with the latest concepts and Diploma courses instituted in European Languages, the Fine Arts and other subjects of vocational and cultural relevance. Simultaneously, the research degree programmes were re-structured, Libraries, Laboratories and other academic facilities modernised and the scope of faculty research enriched and enlarged. A remarkable feature of this period was the pioneering of what were later styled inter-disciplinary studies, with the teachers exploring the interfaces and applied aspects of established disciplines and pursuing new branches of learning. Sanskritists contributed to Historical studies, historians helped evolve Political Science, philosophers promoted Psychology and Education and economists advanced the study of Commerce and Geography, while theoretical and applied Physical Sciences progressed from the collaboration of physicists with mathematicians and chemists, and chemists enriched the interaction of botanists and zoologists in developing the Life Sciences as well as agricultural, soil and environmental studies.
The academic repute earned by University since inception, and the high teaching and research standards affirmed by it after re-organisation, attracted teachers and students from all over the Indian sub-continent and beyond. The University earned national and international recognition as a premier institution of higher learning ('the Oxford of the East') for its attainments and contributions in teaching, research and social commitment and the formidable academic reputation of its faculty members (a veritable Academic Who-is-Who of the age), several of whom command timeless respect for contributions to their respective disciplines and indeed the world of learning. Their academic work is enshrined in the research literature of their disciplines, innumerable monographs, treatises and reference works and the theoretical and experimental techniques developed by them, and also in the intellectual skills and values inculcated from them by countless generations of students, who went on to make their mark in different fields of national life. The legacy of the Golden Age of the University has endured in the succeeding periods, even as the University has adapted itself to new challenges, problems and opportunities.
(D) RE-ORIENTATION AND STEADY ADVANCEMENT (1951-1981)
The period after Independence witnessed several developments that had a bearing on the academic and social role of Universities all over the country. As envisaged in the agenda for development announced during its Diamond Jubilee (1947), the University of Allahabad was called upon to respond to the Revolution of Rising Expectations of different sections of society and to contribute meaningfully to national and social renewal, while marching along with the world in the sphere of higher education. The University showed resilience and determination in the face of the new situation, and despite several difficulties succeeded in maintaining its position as a premier institution in the national sphere and its status as the leading University of Uttar Pradesh. However, the pressures attending the galloping social demand for higher education obliged the University to enrol students greatly in excess of present and prospective capacity. This initiated a chronic trend of insufficient resources and inadequate expansion of infrastructure, which has tended to persist. Moreover, irresistible local pressures forced the University to recognise, while maintaining its unitary teaching character, some institutions in the city of Allahabad as Recognised or Associated (not Affiliated) Colleges for teaching graduate courses. The number of such recognised Associated Colleges grew, as did enrolments in them, during this period. The University also ventured into the realm of Distance Education by establishing the Institute of Correspondence Courses and Continuing Education to offer B. A. and B. Com. courses.
Yet, despite resource constraints, the University steadily expanded and re-organised the existing Departments and established new Departments and subjects, and continuously re-structured, up-dated and enlarged the range of degree and diploma courses, to keep pace with the changing contours of academic disciplines, emerging specialities and contemporary curricular concepts (including inter-disciplinarity). The new Departments established in this period were Ancient History, Culture and Archaeology (by separation from the History Department, the latter continuing as the Department of Medieval and Modern History), Psychology, Fine Arts, Electronics and Communication (earlier styled Applied Physics, by separation from the Physics Department) and Home Science (later the Department of Home Science and Bio-Chemistry). The new disciplines instituted included Business Administration, Bio-Chemistry and Statistics.
The resolve, expressed at the time of the Seventieth Anniversary Celebrations of the University in 1957, to move into new academic areas and enter the domain of higher professional education, fructified in a number of positive initiatives. The Faculties of Engineering and Medicine, respectively comprising the (Associated) Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College (now the Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology) and the (Constituent) Motilal Nehru Medical College, were established. Several professional programmes were instituted, including the MBA programme (the fifth in the country at inception), the Master's course in Applied Physics that was later split up into Bachelor and Master of Technology programmes in Electronic and Tele-communication Engineering, additional Bachelor's and Master's courses in Agricultural Sciences (at the Allahabad Agricultural Institute, then an Associated College and now a Deemed University) and Master's courses in Agricultural Botany, Agricultural Chemistry and Agricultural Zoology in the corresponding teaching Departments of the University. The Bachelor and Master programmes in Law were also re-orientated in accordance with the national trend.
The period was marked by major qualitative consolidation of research activities, with emphasis on international standards in the research degree programmes, exploration of project research by individual faculty and research groups, upgradation of research infrastructure, and the setting up of Institutes, such as the Sheela Dhar Institute of Soil Sciences, the J. K. Institute of Applied Physics and Technology and the Motilal Nehru Institute of Research and Business Administration. Apart from the eminent scholars continuing from the earlier period, a new generation of talented teachers came to the fore in this period, and helped the University maintain a pre-eminent position in the field of higher learning.
This period also saw the growing role of the Government of India and the University Grants Commission in providing support to the academic and research endeavours and initiatives of the University through significant Plan and non-Plan grants for academic and technical positions and infrastructure. It was also marked by several amendments in the legislation governing the University, culminating in the replacement of the individual Acts for different State Universities (including that for the University of Allahabad) by an omnibus law for all State Universities, viz. the U. P. State Universities Act of 1973, which continues to govern the University to date. In sum, in the three decades following Independence, the University ventured into new directions and sought new horizons while preserving its classical heritage.
(E) RENEWAL AND ONWARD PROGRESS (1981 ONWARDS)
(a) General Review
The past two decades have been characterised by new challenges in all areas of the working of the University, and it has sought to respond constructively to the imperative for fulfilling responsibilities towards the nation and society and maintaining a credible position among the notable national institutions of higher learning, by continuously updating the structure and content of teaching, research and extension programmes in order to march in step with international academic developments, reorganising the administrative structure and processes and optimising executive efficiency, and working out imaginative strategies to deal with an insistent paucity of resources. The Centenary of the University in 1987 provided a fit occasion to reaffirm the resolve to concert its intellectual resources and strive higher for realising its potential. That these efforts and the resulting attainments have been positive is attested by the decision of the U. P. Government (in 1992) to recognise the University as the Premier Institution (Vishesh Agrani Sanstha) of the State, the record of support from national agencies for its academic, research and infrastructure development programmes and the current exercise at the level of the Central and State Governments to elevate the institution to the status of a Central University.
The new Departments established in this period include Anthropology, Bio-Chemistry (by separation from Home Science and Bio-Chemistry), Earth and Planetary Sciences (initially called Geology and Geo-Physics), Journalism and Mass Communication, Physical Education, Statistics (by separation from Mathematics and Statistics) and Music and Performing Arts and Visual Arts (by division of Fine Arts).
Allahabad University, established in 1887, is located in Allahabad. This State University is the fourth oldest university of India after Calcutta, Mumbai and Madras universities.
Courses are offered in the faculties of arts, commerce, law and science. It has established the Institute of Inter Disciplinary Studies and Institute of Professional Studies. Institute of Correspondence Courses and Continuing Education, established in 1978, offers courses in arts and commerce.
Allahabad University is a popular educational institution for higher learning situated in Allahabad in the state of Uttar Pradesh, which forms part of the Indian subcontinent.
Allahabad University is in fact regarded as the fourth modern university in India and was established on 23rd September 1887. This university is recorded for having a sound academic tradition and it also has several major achievements to its credit. When it was established, the university began as an affiliating and examining body for graduate and post-graduate programs with a class orientation in different branches of learning. It also had the responsibility of secondary education. In 1951 the university recognized certain local institutions as Associated Colleges to impart degree in various programs. After four decades of its re-organization it has achieved fame both nationally and internationally.
The demand for the `central status` of the university was raised during the centenary celebrations of the university. Against the proposition of the Bill introduced in the Parliament in December in 2004 to recognize the university as an `Institution of National Importance`, both the houses of the Parliament duly passed `The University of Allahabad Allahabad UniversityAct 2005` in the month of May in 2005.
The subjects in which Faculty of Arts offer degrees and perform research at the university are Arabic and Persian, Anthropology, Education, Geography, English and Modern European Languages, Music and Performing Arts, Medieval and Modern History, Philosophy, Hindi, Physical Education, Psychology, Political Science, Urdu, Sanskrit, Journalism and Mass Communication. The subjects in which the Faculty of Science offer degrees and conduct research programs are Bio-chemistry, Chemistry, Botany, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Defense and Strategic Studies, photography, Physics, Electronics and Communication, Physics, Mathematics, Zoology, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology and Home Science. There is also a faculty of Law, which offers several judicial programs.
The university has showed remarkable progress in the 118 years of its existence. Beside the regular undergraduate and post graduate programs the university also offers a list of professional programs in Business Management, Law, Electronic and Tele-communication, Medicine, Human Resource Development, Educational Training, Journalism and Mass Communication and many more. A number of vocational programs have also been provided in the graduate degree programs in accordance with the UGC Scheme for vocational courses. Several courses are also offered by the Institute of Professional Studies (IPS) and have been designed accordingly to the emerging requirements for specialized personnel in various arenas.
The Institute of Inter-disciplinary Studies (IIDS) has also been developed by the University to pursue a non-conventional paradigm for research activities. This renowned university has also taken advantage of the rapid advances and expansion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). The initiation of the computerization process began in the mid 1980s and now the admission and examination process are completely being computerized. The controversy related to the merger of the Motilal Nehru College with this esteemed institution has long been resolved. The High Court of Allahabad has recently passed an order regarding the integration of the Medical College with the University.
The foundation stone of the Muir Central College, was laid by Governor-General of India, Lord Northbrook on December 9, 1873. The College was named after Sir William Muir, Lt. Governor of United Province, who was instrumental in its foundation. The building was designed by William Emerson, who also designed Victoria Memorial in Kolkata and Crawford Market in Mumbai in a unique combination of Indo-Saracenic, Egyptian and Gothic styles.
Initially it functioned under, University of Calcutta, and later, on 23 September 1887, the University of Allahabad was established, making it the fourth modern University established in India.
It began as an affiliating and examining body for graduate and Post-graduate degrees with a classical orientation in different branches of learning and the responsibility for secondary education as well. However, by 1904, the University established its own teaching departments and instituted doctoral research programmes. The University Senate hall was opened by the lieutenant-governor, Sir John Hewett, in 1912. In 1921, with the promulgation of the 'Allahabad University Act of 1921', the Muir Central College merged with University, which was re-organised as a unitary teaching and residential University. Further, over the next few years its affiliated Colleges were transferred to Agra University and the task of conducting secondary-level examinations was relocated.
In 1951, the University (while maintaining its fundamental unitary character) recognised certain local institutions as Associated Colleges authorised to teach undergraduate courses under the Faculties of Arts, Commerce, Science, and Law.
The University has had the privilege of having on its rolls a host of distinguished politicians and statesmen including, one President and two Vice-Presidents of the country, two former Prime Ministers, several Union and State ministers, at least four Chief Justices of the Supreme Court, besides a large number of senior bureaucrats. The list of eminent educationists, scientists, historians, littÃ©rateurs, economists, and philosophers produced by the University is much too long a list to be reproduced but speaks highly of the University's standards in education.
In view of these prestigious achievements by the Institution, as well as its position among the universities of Uttar Pradesh, the State Government accorded it formal recognition in July 1992 as a 'Premier Institution' (Vishesh Agrani Sanstha).
In 1987, the University completed one hundred years of establishment. It was during the centenary celebrations of the University that the demand for "Central status" to the University was made unanimously by the students, faculty, and employees. After a sustained campaign and several hiccups, the Government of India finally acceded to the public demand. In December 2004, a Bill was introduced in Parliament proposing to recognise the University of Allahabad as an 'Institution of National Importance' to restore the Central character of the University. Both Houses of the Parliament duly passed "The University of Allahabad Act, 2005" in May 2005.
On 23 June 2005, the President of India gave his assent to the said bill and the University was finally declared an 'Institution of National Importance' once again. The Government of India issued the gazette notification for the same on July 11, 2005, and the University started functioning as a Central University on July 14, 2005 making it a red-letter day in its 118 years old history.
Allahabad University is a premier Central University located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Its origins lie in the Muir Central College, named after Lt. Governor of North-Western Provinces, Sir William Muir in 1876, and who suggest the idea of a Central University at Allahabad, which later evolved in the present University, and at one point it was even called, the "Oxford of the East", and on June 24, 2005 its Central University status was restored through the 'University Allahabad Act, 2005', of the Parliament of India.
The University of Allahabad Act, 2005 has provided for the following to be deemed as the Constituent Colleges of the Universityâ€”1. Five Faculties (Arts, Commerce, Law, Medicine, and Science)
2. Three University institutes(namely the Institute of Inter-Disciplinary Studies, the Institute of Professional Studies, and the National Centre of Experimental Mineralogy and Petrology) and one Independent University Centre (The Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences),
3. One University college (The Motilal Nehru Medical College and Swarup Rani Nehru Hospital, Allahabad),
4. Three Constituent Institutes (The Govind Ballabh Pant Social Science Institute, Allahabad, the Harish Chandra Research Institute of Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, Allahabad and the Kamla Nehru Post-graduate Medical Institute, Allahabad),and,
5. Eleven local institutions.
The university has sound academic tradition and several extraordinary achievements to its credit. It is active in different branches of learning and even has a role in secondary education. It conducts courses in a wide variety of academic and vocational subjects. During decades of its development, it has remarkably reoriented itself according to the changing times, and, at the same time, maintained its standard.
University of Allahabad offers education to a very large population of students, has established more than 10 hostels for the benefit of out-of-station students.
Residential facilities are available to facilitate the outstation students of the University. There is a University Hostels that is maintained and managed by the University and a Recognised Hostels which is maintained and managed by Private Trusts, and recognised by the University. The Hostels facilitate its occupants with all the basic amenities like a Common Room (with a stage and various recreational amenities), Libraries and Reading Rooms, Dining Halls and Lawns as well as facilities for indoor games and playing fields/courts for outdoor games.
* Faculty of Arts
* Faculty of Commerce
* Faculty of Law
*Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Arts of the University offers 3 years degree courses in the following subjects :
* Ancient History
* Arabic and Persian
* English and Modern European Languages
* Medieval and Modern History
* Music and Performing Arts
* Physical Education
* Political Science
* Journalism and Mass Communication
Faculty of Commerce
* Commerce and Business Administration
Faculty of Law
It is one of the oldest department of legal studies in India. It has the credit of producing a pretty large number of eminent jurists legal luminaries and judges par excellence including, judge of the Internationl Court of Justice, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India and many other judges of High Courts in India.Hon'ble Mr. Justice D.Straight, Bar-at-law,became the first Chairman of the Law Department in 1890
The Faculty of Science of the University offers 3 years degree courses in the following subjects
* Defense and Strategic Studies
* Earth and Planetary Sciences
* Electronics and Communication
* Mathematics and Statistics,
Several new departments have been instituted, and established departments have ventured into new directions in order to keep up with developments in the academic world. This is despite severe resource constraints, particularly uncertain funding and populist demands which act as an inertial drag on initiatives for academic modernisation.
The University has been successful in ensuring appropriate per capita levels of availability and access of academic resources and amenities, and sustaining ideal quanta of face-to-face interaction between faculty and students.
The University has had considerable success in making regular 'course corrections' for keeping pace with up-to-date trends in teaching-learning, research, and academic/community extension activities. Two of its departments namely Ancient History, Culture & Archaeology and Psychology are recognised as UGC Centres of Advanced Study, and five more are (or have been) UGC Departments of Special Assistance. Several departments in the Faculty of Science are covered by the COSIST and FIST Programmes. Several major research projects awarded by national R & D agencies have been successfully completed, and several Departmental or Inter-Departmental Research Groups and individual faculty members are currently engaged in carrying out numerous other projects.
These projects (as well as earlier and current collaborative academic programmes with agencies such as the CSIR, the DST, the DBT, the DOD, the DoS, the DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, UGC, NCERT, Planning Commission etc) have helped augment and expand research facilities and infrastructure. The Physics Department has, for instance, established a Nanophosphor Application Centre with the financial assistance of the DST. The University has also signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Nano Crystal Technology, New York for the Centre's development. The Centre would undertake advanced studies in the synthesis and characterisation of Nanophosphor material and Nanobiotechnology. The Physics Department is also planning to establish a High Fluence Low Energy Ion Beam facility with the help of the DST. The CSIR has granted a 'Chair' to the University on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), and the University has already prepared a Plan of Action in the IPR field. The UGC has also established the M. N. Saha Chair, the Munshi Prem Chand Chair and the Nirala Chair in the Physics, Urdu and Hindi Departments respectively.
The University has well-established professional programmes in Business Management, Electronic and Tele-communication Engineering, Law, Medicine, Educational Training, Human Resource Development and Management, Journalism and Mass Communication among others. In accordance with the UGC Scheme for vocational courses, vocational options have been provided in the graduate degree programmes.
The University has also been developing independent post-graduate professional courses in the light of emerging requirements for specialised personnel in various fields, and several such courses are being offered by the Institute of Professional Studies (IPS), which has been set up to articulate specific linkages between the 'world of learning' and the 'world of living'. The Institute is offering short term and medium term professional courses on self-financial basis. Centre of Food Technology and Centre of Computer Education are two activities, which are ongoing and offering Diploma Certificate Courses. Professional courses in few other areas will be supported under the umbrella of this Institute.
The University has established the Institute of Inter-disciplinary Studies (IIDS) in order to pursue a non-conventional paradigm for research activities and provide an autonomous platformâ€”free from the often vexatious formalities and time consuming procedures involved in inter-Departmental interactionsâ€”for focused inter- and multi-disciplinary explorations in post-graduate programmes and research. The IIDS is designed as a loose collective of Centres dedicated to different areas. Centres for Atmospheric and Ocean Studies, Space Sciences, Biotechnology, Mobile Communication for Developing Countries (CMCDC), Bio-medical NMR, and Consciousness Studies have already started working. Other planned Centres will cover well-focused inter-disciplinary areas such as Environmental Science, Genetic Engineering, Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), Human Resource Development, Globalisation and its Effects among others. It is already conducting a post-graduate programme and several high-end research projects. Other post-graduate courses and M. Phil. and D. Phil. programmes are on the anvil. The activities of the IIDS are funded by project and other grants from national agencies and institutes by the faculty members of the University. The IIDS is seeking special grants for infrastructure and research faculty and staff to enlarge the scope of its activities. The UGC has recently sanctioned quite a few teaching positions for several centres of IIDS.
The University has also instituted an inter-disciplinary undergraduate science programme (Applied Sciences) with the objective of inculcating a cross-disciplinary approach involving the Physical Sciences and Biology streams, both, to give appropriate grounding for higher post-graduate studies in such subjects as Biophysics, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bio informatics, Environmental Science, NanoScience, Nano Technology, Medical Physics among others. Several departments are also gearing up their post-graduate programmes with particular stress on futuristic possibilities and planning professional courses as self-financing package.
Many University departments in the modular pattern, by themselves or in co-operation with other departments, have initiated or worked out self-financing diploma and proficiency courses. The Department of Psychology, for instance, had instituted a highly successful professional inter-disciplinary M. Psy. (Master of Psychology) programme in Human Resource Development and Management in the Ninth Plan period. This programme is, however, not being offered in the current academic year because of the shortage of faculty. It is also proposed to rename the programme, in view of the recommendation of the UGC, as Master in Human Resource Development and Management. The Department has, apart from significant outreach activities, also implemented the concept of 'Cafeteria choice' courses/modules, credit courses in other departments and obligatory field studies in their Post-graduate programme. The Regional Learning Resource and Documentation Centre, which was set up by the Department in the Ninth Plan period, is to be further strengthened in the Eleventh Plan period. The University has also established a world class autonomous Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences under the University Grants Commission scheme of UPE during the Tenth Plan. Specialists from as diverse disciplines as Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science, Linguistics, Neuro- Science, Philosophy, and Psychology work together in the Centre to offer Masters and D. Phil courses in Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences.
The Geography Department has created a modern Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System (RS/GIS) unit (as a Central facility) during the Ninth Plan, for research, database development and the conduct of a Post-graduate Diploma course in RS/GIS.
The Department of Economics has been given a 'Chair' by the Planning Commission to promote research in the field of planning and development. The syllabi incorporate new areas of teaching and research in Environmental Economics and the economic and societal impact of globalisation on India, with particular emphasis on projects/studies on its social, political, legal, and cultural aspects. The research base is being further strengthened by the upgradation of the Statistics Laboratory. The Department has also introduced a one year Post-graduate Diploma Course in Foreign Trade.
The University has taken advantage of the rapid advances and expansion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and has attempted to move in step with the ICT Revolution, within the framework of available facilities and funds. The salient features of the application of ICT in the University are as follows:
* Computerisation was initiated in the admission and examination processes in the mid-1980s and these processes are now completely computerised. In the course of the past decade computerisation has been extended, mainly through the Administrative Computer Centre (established in 1984), to establishment records and procedures, finances, accounts and examination records. Work is under way to computerise the proceedings and records of University bodies, student records, the management of academic and research activities, personnel management, and other fields of academic and administrative functioning. The administrative units now have their own dedicated computer systems that are being linked up through the campus-networking project.
* The University Computer Centre (UCC) was instituted in the early 1980s with UGC assistance as a central unit for researchers requiring EDP facilities and for imparting training/experience in computer methods to faculty, research scholars, and students. There has been regular system upgradation of the UCC, and it is now also being utilised to provide familiarisation/training to staff in the use and application of computers. The Institute of Professional Studies is conducting similar programmes of computer education for students as short-term modular courses.
* Most of the Science Faculty Departments, as well as some of the Social Science/Management Departments have been equipped with up-to-date computer systems by the end of the Eighth Plan, and the objective of the Ninth Plan to upgrade existing systems and provide computer systems to the remaining Departments has been largely achieved. The Departments are using their ICT facilities for research as well as teaching activities.
* During the Ninth Plan, the University established the Central Internet Access Facility (CIAF) and commenced the networking of the Departments and other academic/research/administrative units. Networking between the Departments and units in the Arts, Science, Commerce, and Law Campuses has almost been completed. This project will realise the objective of optimum sharing of departmental resources and enable cost-efficient global access (through the CIAF) for academic and research work.
* The programme of computerisation and global networking of the Central, Faculty, and Departmental Libraries has moved beyond the planning stage. An elaborate Electronic Library is being planned as well.
* The University has worked out a proposal to institute Web-based education programmes, initially through modular professional courses for graduates and then with specially designed courses on Indian Culture, Archaeology and other areas involving several Departments.
The University strongly emphasises 'outreach' programmes, recognising the need to relating the academic activities of the University with social imperatives. Such programmes envisage the integration of extension with research proposals and teaching curricula. The purpose is to involve the University departments in serving the developmental and other needs of specific segments of the community. The University recognises the need for co-operation with various government agencies and NGOS in extension initiatives. Efforts are also underway to establish linkages with the corporate world and imparting training to the students in the areas of mutual interests without disturbing the regular academic schedule of the University.
Father of White Revolution
Verghese Kurien (born November 26, 1921 at Kozhikode, Kerala) is called the father of the White Revolution in India. He is also known as the Milkman of India
He was the chairman of the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd. (GCMMF). GCMMF is an apex cooperative organization that manages the Amul food brand. He is recognised as the man behind the success of the Amul brand.
He is credited with architecting Operation Flood -- the largest dairy development program in the world. Kurien, set up the Anand model of cooperative dairy development, engineered the White Revolution in India, and made India the largest milk producer in the world
As per Section 13 of the University of Allahabad Act. 2005:-
1. The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor in such manner as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
2. The Chancellor shall, by virtue of his office, be the head of the University and shall, if present, preside at the Convocations of the University held for conferring degrees and meetings of the Court.
As per Statute 1 given in the Schedule to the Act:
1. (1) The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor from a panel of not less than three persons recommended by the Executive Council from amongst persons of eminence in the academic or public life of the country:
Provided that if the Visitor does not approve of any of the persons so recommended, he may call for fresh recommendations from the Executive Council.
(2) The Chancellor shall hold office for a term of five years and shall not be eligible for re-appointment:
Provided that notwithstanding the expiry of his term of office the Chancellor shall continue to hold office until his successor enters upon his office.
Rajen Govind Harshe
(Joined on 13th October, 2005)
Born in 1949, Prof Rajen Harshe was Professor (International Relations, Comparative and Area Studies with reference to developmental issues in South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and West Europe), Department of Political Science, University of Hyderabad. After his graduation and post graduation from University of Poona.
Prof Rajen Harshe did his MPhil and PhD from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi as JRF(UGC) and was awarded Junior Post-Doctoral Fulbright Fellowship at Columbia University, New York, to pursue a project on Superpower Rivalry in Southern Africa in the broader context of understanding Imperialism and the Third World (1985-86). Under the French Government Fellowship he was a regular student in the doctoral programme at the Foundation Nationale Des Sciences Politiques of Paris (1973- 1975) and worked as Research Associate and organised African Studies programme at the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) in 1977.
Prof Rajen Harshe has taught post-graduate courses over 28 years and has guided 26 students for their research degrees including 4 Ph.D.s and 22 M.Phil students.
The First Vice Chancellor, University of Allahabad as Central University.
Under his dynamic leadership Prof Harshe as Coordinator of the Special Assistance Programme (SAP) the Department of Political Science, University of Hyderabad, was placed on the world map. Prof Harshe contributed to academic bodies of other Universities in various capacities and has been Expert Member to various National and International Policy making bodies including NAAC, UGC, ICSSR, and Indo-Russian joint commission. He has been a constant source of inspiration for Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India, on various issues related to the future course of India's foreign policy.
Prof Rajen Harshe is a prolific writer and has contributed many research papers in various national and international journals of repute and has authored many books of which Twentieth Century Imperialism: Shifting Contours and Changing Conceptions (New Delhi, Sage, 1997) revolutionised the very concept of Neo Marxist approaches in international relations theory. The book brought him international fame and has become essential/supplementary reading in courses in social sciences in several academic institutions in India and other parts of the world. He has been advisor to many national and international projects funded by World Bank, Ford Foundation & European Commission and has widely travelled as visiting scholar/invited speaker to many Universities/Institutes in Asian, African & European Countries including Sweden, USA, Netherlands, Iran, Russia and so on.
The Central Library has started its journey on the path of improvement. It was established to cater the needs of the students, research scholars, and teachers of the University. It not only helps in supporting the class room instructional programmes of the university, but also unfolds the horizon of knowledge in regard to the different research programmes carried out by the university.
The Central Library developed out of the library of the Muir Central College, Allahabad (established in 1872, and affiliated with the university from 1872 to 1922, when it was subsumed in the university upon beginning it career as a teaching university). Foundation stone of the university library building was laid by Sir John Hewett on 17th Jan.1910. The University Library was started in 1916. In 1946-47, Dr.S.R. Ranganathan, father of library science in India, was invited to suggest ways and means of improving the library. He submitted the development plan in March 1947, which was published by the university in the same year. Its contents covered wide range of areas: such as new library building, manpower, finance and other relevant items. A special committee was constituted to review the library development plan submitted by Dr. Ranganathan. The committee pointed out that the central library building constructed in 1913-16 was inadequate. The most satisfactory thing would be to erect a new building designed in accordance with the modern library practice. It recommended the conversion of the Darbangha Hall into a reading room for 500 under-graduates (250 on the ground floor and 250 on the first floor. A portion of the graduates reading room was to be divided into private cubicles for the use by serious students or research scholars. After some times it was felt that space in Darbhanga hall is inadequate to store the reading materials and provide library services.. The present library building was constructed in 1973. The present library building is more spacious and has potential for further expansion. The old library building is now occupied by the office of the Registrar, as well as Accounts and General section of the University.
Residential facilities are available to students in University Hostels (maintained and managed by the University) and Recognised Hostels (maintained and managed by Private Trusts, and recognised by the University). The Dean of Students Welfare has a general co-ordinating, monitoring and advisory role in respect of the Hostels.
The Hostels have, in general, provisions for a Common Room (with a stage and various recreational amenities), Libraries and Reading Rooms, Dining Halls and Lawns as well as facilities for indoor games and playing fields/courts for outdoor games, and seek to provide facilities, opportunities and ambience for a vibrant corporate life and creative self-expression for their members, which include the resident students as well as non-resident Attached students. The Hostels also have provisions for elected or nominated student office-bearers (such as the General Secretary, the Social Secretary, the Library Secretary, etc) and nominated student Prefects. From the Session 1999-2000, admissions to the University Men's and Women's Hostels have been centralised, while the recognised Hostels have continued with their own procedures for admission. The resident and attached students are governed by prescribed Rules.
Of the ten University Hostels, six are for men, three for women and one (the International House) for Foreign (male) students. Each University Hostel is under the overall supervision of a Warden and is administered (except for the International House) by a Superintendent. There is provision for one Assistant Superintendent as well for each of the University Women's Hostels. The Wardens and Superintendents are appointed by the Vice-Chancellor, with the approval of the Executive Council, from amongst the serving teachers of the University. The Assistant Superintendents (if any) are appointed by the Vice-Chancellor on the recommendation of the Warden, also from amongst the serving teachers of the University.
The six Recognised Hostels include three Halls (i. e. Hostels which are empowered to provide Tutorial instruction to their inmates, and are therefore also called University Colleges, as distinct from the Associated Colleges). Each Hall has a Principal (who is often also the Warden of the residential wing) and a Superintendent (who may be chosen, though not mandatorily, from amongst the teachers of the University. The other Recognised Hostels have a Warden and a Superintendent each, who are not necessarily University teachers. A new University Hostel for male students of professional Post-graduate courses and Research programmes (the Narendra Deva Shatabdi Hostel) is in an advanced stage of construction, and a new residential facility, proposed for the UGC Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences (under the Scheme for Identifying Universities with Potential for Exc
Images / newspaper cuttings related to University of Allahabad (UoA)
Project to restore heritage structures (News)