Home > Uttar Pradesh > Universities > Allahabad > Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU)
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Address: Plot / Street / Area
17, Maharshi Dayanand Marg, Thornhill Road
Allahabad (District Allahabad)
Uttar Pradesh, IndiaPin Code : 211001
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is a University recognised by UGC. Status: State University. Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh was established on / in 27.01.1999.
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU) is situated in Allahabad of Uttar Pradesh state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Allahabad comes under Allahabad Tehsil, Allahabad District.
Fax # of Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is +91-532-2624368, 2447032, 2447036.
email ID(s) is
Website of Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh is www.uprtouallahabad.org.in, www.uprtou.org.in/.
Vice Chancellor : Prof.D.P.Singh, Tel: 0532 242270(O)2421624(R), AK Bakhshi.
Registrar : Sh.R.K.Baslas, Tel: 0532 2623250(O)2693088(R).
Contact Details of Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad Uttar Pradesh are : +91-532-2621840, 2623250, 2422327, 2447028, 2447035
Profile of Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU)
U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad was founded in the year 1999 with an aim to offer higher learning opportunities to the maximum number of people of the country. These include the people from the remote villages, housewives and busy professionals. The university is also known as UPRTOU and offers counseling and excellent guidance to the students. Offering state of the art educational opportunities, research facilities and training, the institution is considered to be among the most desirable open universities in India.
* The University shall endeavour through education, research, training and extension to play a positive role in the development of the state, and, based on the rich heritage of the state, to promote and advance culture of the people of India and its human resources and towards this end, it shall ...
* Provide access to higher education for large segment of the population, and in particular, the disadvantaged groups such as those living in remote and rural areas including working people, house-wives and other adults who wish to upgrade or acquire knowledge through studies in various
* Promote acquisition of knowledge in a rapidly developing and changing society and continually offer opportunity for upgrading knowledge, training and skills in the context of innovations, research and discovery in all fields of human endeavours.
* Provide an innovative system of university level education, flexible and open, in regard to methods and pace of learning, combination of courses, eligibility for enrolment, age of entry, conduct of examination and operation of programmes with a view to promote learning and encourage excellence in new fields of knowledge.
* Contribute to the improvement of the educational system by providing a non formal channel complementary to the formal system, by encouraging transfer of credits and exchange of teaching staff and by making wide use of texts and other software developed by the University.
* Provide education and training in various arts, crafts and skills of the country in general and the state in particular and simultaneously insure raising their quality and improving their availability to the people.
* Provide or arrange training of teachers required for such activities or institutions.
* Provide suitable Post-Graduate courses of study and promote research.
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University is a public university locaetd at Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. The university plans to provide access to higher education for large segments of population and in particular, the disadvantaged groups such as those living in remote and rural areas including working people, house wives and other adults who wish to upgrade or acquire knowledge through studies in various fields. It will also make efforts to promote acquisition of knowledge in a rapidly developing and changing society and continually offer opportunity for upgrading knowledge, training and skills in the context or innovations , research and discovery in all fields of human endeavors . the university is open to all irrespective of caste, creed or sex and its jurisdiction is whole of Uttar Pradesh.
Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University has its headquarters at Allahabad. It promotes education through distance education system.
Courses offered include first-degree program, postgraduate courses, general diploma courses, certificate courses, computer courses and vocational courses. The university has study centers spread all over Uttar Pradesh and in few parts of Uttaranchal.
Profile of University
The first academic session of the U.P Rajashri Tandon Open University was inaugurated by the then Governor of Uttar Pradesh in 1999. Thus the University started its academic functioning from July 1999 with Prof. Nitish Kumar Sanyal as the first Vice Chancellor of the University. Mr.K.B. Lal was appointed the first registrar of the University on March 1, 1999.
Address : U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University
17, Maharshi Dayanand Marg (Thornihill Road), Allahabad-211 001 Uttar Pradesh
Type : State University
Tel :0532-2621840, 2623250
Fax : 0532 - 2624368
E-mail : email@example.com
Vice Chancellor : Tel: 0532 242270(O)2421624(R)
Registrar : Tel: 0532 2623250(O)2693088(R)
UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU) Allahabad is an open university offering a long list of courses in various disciplines. The university is an excellent center of study for those who do not have time to attend regular classes. For the professionals who are already in job and want to hone their skills, the university offers an affordable option. The university maintains several regional centres of education. It has its jurisdiction in the whole of Uttar Pradesh. The university operates from its Phaphamau campus in Allahabad.
The first academic session of the university was inaugurated by the then Governor of Uttar Pradesh in 1999. The University began its academic functioning from July 1999 with Prof. Nitish Kumar Sanyal as the first Vice Chancellor of the University. Mr KB Lal was appointed the first registrar of the University on March 1, 1999. The university has added a number of courses to its fold since its beginning.
The university endeavors to play a positive role in the development of the state through education, research, training and extension in the areas of Management Studies, Computer and Information Sciences, Education, Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Engineering and Technology, and Health Sciences through its programs of different levels. It manages several study centers in the state of UP. Admissions are held on the basis of passing marks obtained in the qualifying examination. The university offers regular as well as distance education courses.
Central Library of Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU) contains a lager volume of Books, Journals, News Papers and Magazines. Besides faculty members, supporting staff and researchers, it is open for use of students of the university. Its five Regional Centers possess their own libraries with effective, useful and comprehensive collection to serve the students and counsellors mainly through study centers falling under their authority. The Library is presently providing Internet surfing facilities. E-documents collection and online journals are receiving special emphasis. The library contains necessary infrastructure like Computer Lab etc. The university now provides the facility of e-submission of forms.
Born in a small Rajasthan village, Shri B. L. Joshi began his career in 1957 with the police service in Rajasthan and moved to the Govt. of India in 1962. During a long service career, Shri Joshi worked in different administrative positions including in the Ministry of Home Affairs, with Prime Ministers - Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri and Smt. Indira Gandhi, with the High Commissions of India at Islamabad and London, and with the Embassy of India at Washington D.C. He took voluntary retirement from the I.P.S. in 1991 and got involved in social work.
Shri Joshi moved to the United States of America in 1993, where he was Director with two large American Companies and also as Executive Director of an NGO located in California, which awards scholarships to bright and needy students in India. On his return from the U.S. in March 2000, Shri Joshi was appointed as 'Member' of the Rajasthan State Human Rights Commission, a position equivalent to a High Court Judge, where he worked for four years. He assumed the post of the Lt. Governor of Delhi on 09 June, 2004 and relinquished this responsibility on being appointed the Governor of Meghalaya in April 2007. In October 2007, he was appointed Governor of the State of Uttarakhand. Shri Joshi has travelled< strong /> extensively in India and abroad. He takes keen interest in social work and is also associated with several social service groups and agencies.Shri B.L.Joshi, sworn in as Governor of Uttar Pradesh on 28th July, 2009, is the Chancellor of the University
Present Address: Raj Bhawan(Governor House), Lucknow
Designation Office Phone
Shri B.L Joshi,Governor
Ph. 2220494-95, 97, 98, 99, 2239488
Special Secretary to Governor
Additional Legal Adviser
Vission, Mission And Objectives
The vision and the mission of the University may be stated as:
* To reach the un-reached.
* To universalize opportunities of education.
* To provide opportunities of higher education to the weaker sections.
* To equalize opportunities in higher education.
* To provide quality education to one and all.
* To become a virtual university.
Establishment and Incorporation of the University
* There shall be established a University by the name of the Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University.
* The headquarters of the University shall be at Allahabad and it may establish or maintain colleges or study centres at such other places in the State as it may deem fit.
* The Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and the members of the Executive Council and the Academic Council for the time being holding office as such in the University, shall constitute a body corporate by the name of the Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University.
The Objects of the University
* The University shall promote dissemination of learning and knowledge through distance education system to a large segment of the population and shall, in organising its activities, have due regard to the objects specified in the schedule.
Powers of the University
* To provide for instruction in such branches of knowledge, technology, vocations and professions as the University may determine from time to time and to make provision for research.
* To plan and prescribe courses of study for degrees, diplomas, certificates or for any other purpose.
* To hold examinations and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates or other academic distinctions or recognitions on persons who have pursued a course of study or conducted research in the manner laid down by the Statutes and Ordinances.
* To confer honorary degrees or other distinctions in the manner prescribed.
* To determine the manner in which distance education in relation to the academic programmes of the University may be organized.
* To institute professorships, readerships, lectureships and other academic positions necessary for imparting instructions or for preparing educational material or for conducting other academic activities, including guidance, designing and delivery of courses and evaluation of the work done by the students, and to appoint persons to such professorships, readerships, lecturerships and other academic positions.
* To co-operate with, and seek the co-operation of other universities and institutions of higher learning, professional bodies and organizations for such purposes as the University considers necessary.
* To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, prizes and such other awards for recognition of merit as the University may deem fit.
* To establish and maintain such regional centres as may be determined by the University from time to time.
* To establish, maintain or recognize Study Centers in the manner prescribed.
* To provide or the preparation of instructional material, including films, cassettes, tapes, video cassettes and other software.
* To organize the conduct of refresher courses, workshops, seminars and other programmes for teachers, lesson writers, evaluators and other academic staff.
* To recognize examinations of or periods of study, whether in full or part, at other universities, institutions or other places of higher learning as equivalent to examinations or periods of study in the University, and to withdraw such recognition at any time.
* To make provision for research and development in educational technology and related matters.
* To create administrative, ministerial and other necessary posts and to make appointments thereto.
* To receive benefactions, donations and gifts and to acquire, hold, maintain and dispose of any property movable or immovable, including trust and Government property, for the purposes of the University.
* To borrow, with the approval of the State Government, whether on the security of the property of the University or otherwise, money for the purposes of University.
* To enter into, carry out, vary or cancel contracts.
* To demand and receive such fees and other charges as may be laid down by the Ordinances.
* To provide, control and maintain discipline among the students and all categories of employees and to lay down the conditions of services of such employees, including their codes of conduct.
* To recognize any institution of higher learning or studies for such purposes as the University may determine and to withdraw such recognition.
* To appoint either on contract or otherwise Visiting Professors, Emeritus Professors, consultants, fellows, scholars, artists, course writers and such other persons who may contribute to the advancement of the objects of the University.
* To recognize persons working in the Universities, institutions or organizations as teachers of the University on such terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Ordinances.
* To make arrangements for the promotion of the general health and welfare of the employees.
* To specify conditions for the admission of students to courses of study of the University which may include examination, evaluation and any other methods of testing.
* To admit to its privileges any college in the State subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.
provided that no college shall be so admitted except with the prior approval of the Chancellor.
* To confer autonomous status on a college or a regional centre in the manner prescribed.
* To do all such acts as may be necessary or incidental to the exercise of all or any of the powers of the University as are necessary and conducive to the promotion of all or any of the Objects of the University.
Territorial exercise of powers
* Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, the University shall in the exercise of its powers have jurisdiction over the whole of Uttar Pradesh.
University opens to all classes and creeds
* The University shall be open to persons of either sex irrespective of class or creed, and it shall not be lawful for the University to adopt or impose on any person any test whatsoever of religious belief or profession in order to entitle him to be appointed as a teacher of the University, or to hold any other office therein or admitted as a student in the University or to graduate there at, or to enjoy or exercise any privilege thereof.
* Nothing in sub-section (1) Shall be deemed to prevent the University from making any special provision for the appointment or admission of women or of persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes or other backward classes.
* School of Management Studies
* School of Computer and Information Sciences
* School of Education
* School of Humanities
* School of Social Sciences
* School of Sciences
* School of Engineering and Technology
* School of Health Sciences
Introduction: * The Central Library of the University, established in 2000, has been in its phase of infancy during the early three years in regard to organisation and services, but it has had an appreciable pace of crawling, standing and walking during later years to enter the phase of childhood.
* Starting with a meagre collection of 657 volumes in 2000 it has now built a collection of 14069 books and subscription to 92 learned journals besides news papers and magazines by 31 March 2008. Besides faculty members, supporting staff and researchers it is open for use by students of the university mainly residing in Allahabad and adjoining areas. The Central Library is at the apex with the five Regional Centers and more than 300 Study Centers as it's service points where study materials and reference books are placed for easy and ready access.
* The five Regional Centers have their own libraries with effective, useful and comprehensive collection to serve the students and counsellors mainly through study centers falling under their jurisdiction and also directly wherever easily accessible. Besides these, the two Centre for Excellence one each at Allahabad and Khamaria (Mirzapur), have their own libraries. The Library plans to cater to the needs of students and counsellors spread over far and wide under its jurisdiction by adopting the new methods for delivering study materials in the form of whole, a part or an extract of a document through reprographic reproduction and personal courier or postal mode of delivery and also through electronic document delivery system via its Study Centers or directly to the students, whichever is feasible. On the face of it this may seem a distant possibility, but with the pace this university along with its Library is marching ahead, it is likely to be a ground reality sooner. Ultimately the Library will transform itself into a digital library with digitized text materials to be available to students and counsellors at their desk as and when they desire. The Library is presently providing Internet surfing facilities. E-documents collection and online journals are receiving special emphasis.
* The library has acquired necessary infrastructure like computer, scanner, printer etc. for talking up the computerisation. The computerisation is in progress
* Acquisition Section.
* Techniical Processing Section.
* Periodical Section.
* Reference Section.
* ICT Division.
Reading Room and Reference:
Provides for 40 seats in two halls. One for newspapers and magazines and other for serious study. The study area also contains reference sources. Staff is available for help and providing information.
The learned periodicals are displayed along with shelving of back issues on the Display cum-Storage Racks. Faculty members and research scholars (PhD and M.Phil) mainly use this collection.
Besides books being used in Library, the books are also being lent to faculty members.
Information Services: The library has started application of ICT. The users are provided the Internet surfing besides this the information needs of users are being met by library staff through Internet. Downloaded information is provided in e-document and hard copy form as asked for
1. Dr. T. N. Dubey
2. R. J. Maurya
Images / newspaper cuttings related to Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU)
Siksha ka udeshya manav viaektitav ka vikas karna hai (News)