Home > Tamil Nadu > Universities > Chennai > Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University
Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Address: Plot / Street / Area
P B No. 1200, No.69, Anna Salai, Guindy
Chennai (District Chennai)
Tamil Nadu, IndiaPin Code : 600032
Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai Tamil Nadu is a University recognised by UGC. Status: State University (Not Funded By UGC).
Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University is situated in Chennai of Tamil Nadu state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Chennai comes under Chennai (Madras) Tehsil, Chennai District.
Fax # of Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai Tamil Nadu is 044-22353698.
email ID(s) is
Website of Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai Tamil Nadu is www.tnmmu.ac.in.
Vice Chancellor : Tel: 044 22353595(O) 28343255(R).
Registrar : Tel: 044 22353572(O) 25283163(R) Fax: 22353698.
Contact Details of Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai Tamil Nadu are : Telephone: +91-44-22353574, 22353576-79
Contact Phone No. 91 44 22354403
Dr.N.C.Jayamani, M.A.,M.L.I.S.,Ph.D., Librarian, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tmt S.Laksham, Deputy Librarian, E-mail: email@example.com
Dr. G. Ravisankar, M.A.,M.L.I.S.,Ph.D., Deputy Librarian, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CoursesRegular Courses Tamil Nadu Dr. M G R Medical University
Under Graduate Courses:
* Siddha Maruthuva Arignar (Bachelor of Siddha Medicine & Surgery)
* Ayurvedacharya (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery)
* Kamil-e-Tib-o-Jarahat (Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery)
* Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery
* Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences
* B.Sc., Nursing (Regular)
* B.Sc., Nursing (For Trained Nurses)
* B. Pharmacy
* Bachelor of Physiotherapy (B.P.T..)
* Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Transitory)
* Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (B.O.T.)
* Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Transitory)
* Bachelor of Medical Record Science (B.M.R.Sc.)
* Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology (B..Sc.(MLT))
* BMT in Radio Diagnosis
* BMT in Radio Therapy
* BMT in Nuclear Medicine
Post Graduate courses:
* M.D. Br.I General Medicine
* M.D. Br.II Obstetrics and Gynaecology
* M.D. Br.III Pathology
* M.D.Br.IV Microbiology
* M.D.Br.V Physiology
* M.D.Br.VI Pharmacology
* M.D.Br.VII Paediatrics
* M.D.Br.VIII Radio Diagnosis
* M.D.Br.IX Radio Therapy
* M.D.Br.X Anaesthesiology
* D.Br.XI Sexually Transmitted Diseases
* M.D.Br.XII Dermatology
* M.D.Br.XIII Biochemistry
* M.D.Br.XIV Forensic Medicine
* M.D.Br.XV Community Medicine
* M.D.Br.XVI Geriatric Medicine
* M.D.Br.XVII Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases
* M.D.Br.XVIII Psychiatry
* M.D..Br.XXI Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
* M.D..Br.XX Immuno Haematology and Blood Transfusion
* M.S.Br.I General Surgery
* M.S.Br.II Orthopaedic Surgery
* M.S.Br.III Opthalmology
* M.S.Br.IV ENT
* M.S.Br.V Anatomy
* M.D.Siddha Br.I Marutthuvam
* M.D.Siddha Br.II Gunapaadam
* M.D.Siddha Br.III Sirappu Marutthuvam
* M.D.Siddha Br.IV Kuzandhai Maruthuvam
* M.D.Siddha Br.V Noinadal
* M.D.Siddha Br. VI Nanju Noolum Maruthua Neethinoolum
* M.D.S.Br.I. Oral and Maxillo Facilal Surgery
* M.D.S.Br.II Periodontia
* M.D.S.Br.III Conservative Dentistry/Operative Dental Surgery
* M.D.S.Br.IV Oral Pathology
* M.D.S.Br.V Orthodontics
* M.D.S.Br.VI Prosthetics
* M.D.S.Br.VII Oral Medicine and Radiology
* M.D.S.Br.VIII Paedodontics
Post Graduate Diploma:
* Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
* Diploma in Child Health
* Diploma in Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases
* Diploma in Sexually Transmitted Disease
* Diploma in Dermatology
* Diploma in Leprosy
* Diploma in Medical Radiology Therapy
* Diploma in Anaesthesiology
* Diploma in Psychological Medicine
* Diploma in Public Health
* Diploma in Orthopaedics
* Diploma in Oto Rhino Laryngology
* Diploma in Opthalmology
* Diploma in Clinical Pathology
* Diploma in Medical Radiology Diagnosis
* Diploma in Diabetology
* Diploma in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
* Diploma in Health Promotion Education
* Diploma in Applied Nutrition and Dietetics
* Diploma in Community Health and Development
* Diploma in Cardio Thoracic Nursing
Nursing and Para Medical Post Graduate Degree:
* M.Pharmacy Br.I.Pharmaceutics
* M.Pharmacy Br.II Pharmaceutical Chemistry
* M.Pharmacy Br.III Pharmacognosy
* M.Pharmacy Br.IV Pharmacology
* M.Pharmacy Br.V Pharmaceutical Analysis
* M.Pharmacy Br.VI Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
* M.Pharmacy Br.VII Pharmacy Practice,
* M.Pharmacy Br.VIII Pyto Pharmacy and Pyto Medicine
* M.Sc. Nursing Br.I Medical Surgical Nursing
* M.Sc. Nursing Br.II Child Health Nursing
* M.Sc. Nursing Br.III Maternal Nursing
* M.Sc. Nursing Br.IV Community Health Nursing
* M.Sc. Nursing Br.V.Mental Health Nursing
Master of Physiotherapy:
* Br.I Adv. P.T in Ortho
* Br.II Adv. P.T.in Neurology
* Br.III Adv. P.T. in Cardio Pulmonary Disease
* Br.IV Sports P.T
* Br.V Hand Condition
* Br.VI Paediatric Neurology
* Br.VII Community P.T
* Br.VIII P.T. in O & G
* M.Sc. Epidemiology
* M.Sc.(Non Clinical) Br.III Biochemistry
* M.Sc.(Non Clinical) Br.V. Microbiology
* Master of Public Health
* Master of Occupational Therapy
* M.Sc. Medical Sociology
* M.Sc. (Bio-Statistics)
Post Graduate Higher Speciality Degree:
* D.M Br.I Neurology
* D.M. Br.II Cardiology
* D.M Br.III Nephrology
* D.M Br.IV Gastro Enterology
* D.M Br.VII Medical Oncology
* D.M Br.IX Rheumatology
* D.M Br. X Clinical Haematology
* M.Ch. Br. I Thoracic Surgery
* M.Ch. Br.II Neuro Surgery
* M.Ch. Br.III Plastic Surgery
* M.Ch. Br.IV Genito Urinary Surgery
* M.Ch. Br.V Paediatric Surgery
* M.Ch. Br.VI Surgical Gastro Enterology and Proctology
* M.Ch.Br.VII Surgical Oncology
* M.Ch Br.VIII Vascular Surgery
Departments of the University:
CENTRAL ORGAN REGISTRY,
DEPARTMENT OF BIO-MEDICAL SCIENCES,
DEPARTMENT OF CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT,
DEPARTMENT OF EPIDEMIOLOGY,
DEPARTMENT OF EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE,
DEPARTMENT OF HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION,
DEPARTMENT OF IMMUNOLOGY,
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL BIO-TECHNOLOGY,
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL GENETICS,
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL INSTRUMENTATION CENTRE,
DEPARTMENT OF NURSING,
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
Department of Sidha,
Department of Tele Education,
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSFUSION MEDICINE,
MEDICAL TAMIL DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL,
REGIONAL MEDICAL LIBRARY and MEDICAL INFORMATICS CENTRE,
Profile of Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical UniversityAbout University
The need to have a separate Medical University in Tamilnadu exclusively to deal with medical education and research at Under graduate, Post graduate and Doctoral level was keenly felt for over a period of years and was under active consideration of the State Government since 1980. The State Government appointed a High Level Committee consisting of Dr. A. Venugopal, Dr. M. Natarajan and Dr. S. Kameswaran to go into all aspects of establishing a separate Medical University and make suitable recommendations to the State Government.
Apart from modern medicine, the Committee was also requested to examine and suggest improvements to be made in other traditional systems of Indian Medicine viz. Siddha, Ayurveda and Unani. The intension was that the Medical University to be established in Tamilnadu should bring about co-ordination and co-operation between various educational and training institutions of modern medicine as well as other Indian Systems of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, etc. and promote research. Based on the report of the Committee, the Medical University was established by the Government of Tamilnadu Medical University Act 1987. The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University Act, 1987 (Act No.37 of 1987) received the assent of the President of India on 24th September, 1987. By Act No.9 of 1991, it was ordered that the Act may be called the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987. This affiliating University started functioning from July 1988 and is governed by the said Act.
The Students admitted to the various Medical and Paramedical courses after 01.03.1988 only come under this Medical University as per Government notification issued in G.O.Ms.No.1628/Health, Indian Medicine and Homeopathy and Family Welfare Department dated 23.08.1988. The Administrative office of the University was initially functioning in a very small rented building at Velachery Road, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 from 12.07.1988. From May 1989 the administrative office of the University was functioning at a rented seven storeyed building owned by Periyar Trust at 52, E.V.K. Sampath Salai, Vepery, Chennai- 600 007. At present the University is functioning in its own building at Nawab Garden, 69, Anna Salai, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 with effect from 12.06.1994.
The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is situated in Southern part of the City of Chennai (formerly Madras) in the State of Tamilnadu, South India. It is about 6 Km from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12km from the Chennai Central Railway Station. It is one of the premier Medical Universities of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, late Dr. M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University in India.
This is the only Medical University in Tamilnadu capable of granting affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges, government or self - financing; and awarding degrees (until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras). Besides Medical and Paramedical courses, the University also regulates dental education and education in the Indian systems of medicine under a single umbrella to maintain uniform and high standards of education. The University also promotes research and disseminates knowledge gained there from.
University Grants Commission High Level Committee consisting of 4 members Prof. S.K. Kacker, Director - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Dr. D.S. Agarwal, Ex-Dean, Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi, Dr. D.S. Dubey, Director, JIPMER & Mr. G.S. Bawa, representative of University Grants Commission visited the University in April 1993 to study the working of the University.
The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is situated in Southern part of the City of Chennai. It is about 6 Km from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12km from the Chennai Central Railway Station. The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is the only Government Medical University in Tamil Nadu capable of granting affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges, government or self - financing; and awarding degrees. Besides Medical and Paramedical courses, the University also regulates dental education and education in the Indian systems of medicine under a single umbrella to maintain uniform and high standards of education. The University also promotes research and disseminates knowledge gained therefrom.
It is one of the premier Medical Universities of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, late Dr.M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University in India. This is the only Medical University in Tamil Nadu capable of granting affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges, government or self - financing; and awarding degrees (until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras). The University emblem symbolises various systems of medicine and Para medical systems. It also depicts the global character of preventive, promotive and curative medicine. The motto 'HEALTH FOR ALL' reflects all the objectives of this medical University.
It was established in July 1988. It is approved by UGC and has the power to affiliate new medical and paramedical colleges. It also regulates courses in Indian ayurvedic and Siddha medicines. It also performs researches in medicines and similar fields. It regulates the high standard of quality in medical science throughout the state. University is situated in south of Chennai.
This University is the second largest Health Sciences University in India. University also imparts dental education.
Profile of University
The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University has been established by the Government of Tamil Nadu under an act of the Legislative assembly. This affiliating University started functioning from July 1988 and is governed by the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987. The varsity is situated in Southern part of the City of Chennai in the State of Tamil Nadu, South India. It is about 6 Km from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12km from the Chennai Central Railway Station.
Dr.M.G.R.Medical University is a premier Medical Universality of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, late Dr.M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University of our country. The university has the power to grant affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges (government or self - financing) in the state of Tamil Nadu; it also awards degrees (until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras) to the successful candidates. Besides, medical and paramedical courses, the University also regulates dental education in the state. It also regulates education in the Indian systems of medicine including Ayurveda, Siddha etc. The University also promotes research and development in the field of medical sciences and allied fields.
The main Objectives of the University are:
* To maintain uniform standards of high quality medical education throughout the state of Tamil Nadu.
* To provide for instructions and training in such branches of learning as it may determine in the field of medical sciences.
* To institute degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions.
* To institute lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts required by the university and to appoint persons to such lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts.
* To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, medals and prizes in accordance with the status.
* To institute research posts and to appoint persons in such posts.
* To organise advanced studies and research programs from time to time.
* To develop research facilities and to provide for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the field of medical sciences.
* To provide for continuing medical education.
* To establish, maintain and manage institutions of research, university colleges, departments and laboratories.
* To encourage co-operation among the colleges, laboratories, hospitals and institutions in the university area and to co-ordinate with other universities and other authorities in such manner and for such purposes as the university may determine.
Vice Chancellors Profile
Dr. Mayil Vahanan Natarajan
M.S.Orth., M.Ch.Orth.(L'pool.), Ph.D, D.Sc., F.R.C.S.(Eng.), D.Sc.(Hon.)3,
VC Email ID : email@example.com
He is the pioneer of Orthopaedic Oncology in the country and introduced the concept of Limb Salvage Surgery in Bone Tumours by Custom Mega Prosthesis as early as 1988. He has established Orthopaedic Oncology as a sub-speciality in Orthopaedic Surgery in India. His personal series of over 1450 surgeries of Custom Mega Prosthesis is the highest number by a single surgeon in the world.
He has invented the Custom Mega Prosthesis for different anatomical sites in the body Eight Prosthesis have been Patented and Fifteen Prosthetic Designs have been Registered in the Official Gazette of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks, Government of India. The term Custom Mega Prosthesis has been granted Trade Mark rights to him as the Author.
He has been awarded the Ph.D in 2000 and D.Sc. in 2004 by The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University for his work on Custom Mega Prosthesis. He has been decorated with the D.Sc. (Hon. Causa) by the Medical University in due recognition of his contribution to Bone Tumour Patients. Honorary Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) has also been conferred by the Sathyabama University (2007)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
He has authored 8 Books and Edited 11 Chapters in textbooks. Has published 21 papers in peer reviewed International and 25 papers in National Journals. He has delivered 178 Guest Lectures in various International, National and State Conferences. He has been the recipient of 14 International & National fellowships and has given 17 Orations in various conferences.
He has also been instrumental in starting the Bone Bank at the Government General Hospital, Chennai (2005). Cadaveric Bones are being processed and made available as Allografts for the poor and needy patients attending the Public Hospitals in Chennai.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT PROJECT
He has submitted the project on 'Disaster Management Health Care Perspective' to the Government of Tamil Nadu and Ministry of Health, Government of India (2006). This pilot project outlines Hospital protocol for the Management of Major Disasters and Mass Casualties. This will be a model to be followed in all major hospitals in India. He has also submitted a Project Report on Establishment of Disaster Management Center At Government General Hospital to the Hon'ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. which was announced in the Budget speech (March 2008) of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
* British Orthopaedic Association - Wishbone Trust Award - for excellence in Orthopaedic Oncology (1998).
* International Cancer Technology Award by International Union against Cancer (1999).
* Japanese Orthopaedic Association Appreciation Award in acknowledgement of achievement in the Surgical Treatment of Bone Sarcomas in India (2004).
* Korean Orthopaedic Association 50th Annual Congress Appreciation Award for excellence in Orthopaedic Oncology (2006)
* Dr. B. C. Roy National Award by the Medical Council of India in recognition of his contribution to society by Custom Mega Prosthesis in Bone Tumours (2004)
* National Award for the Welfare of Disabled by the Government of India in recognition of cost effective technological innovation of Custom Mega Prosthesis in Bone Tumours (2005).
* Padma Shri Award by the Government of India for Meritorious Services rendered to the Bone Cancer patients (2007)
* Lemelson Recognition and Mentoring Programme (L-Ramp) Innovation Award by the The Lemelson Foundation, USA & Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai in recognition of his innovation of Custom Mega Prosthesis (2005).
* Honorary Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) by the Sathyabama University in recognition of his contribution to Orthopaedic Oncology (2007).
* Honorary Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) by the Dr. M.G.R. Medical University in recognition of his contribution to society by Custom Mega Prosthesis in Bone Tumours (2007).
* Best Doctor Award by the Government of Tamil Nadu for services to the Disabled (2004).
* Tamil Nadu Scientists Award for Excellence in Medical Sciences (Clinical), by the State Council for Science and Technology, Government of Tamil Nadu (1998).
Virtual Library : The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University being the mother Medical University holds the responsibility to initiate requisite action to establish a Virtual Library for the benefit of its user community. The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University has already received adequate funds from the State and Central Governments plus its own funds to initiate this project. On approval of this proposal by the Committee, the Medical Informatics Centre was upgraded as a Digital Library in 2002 and later as Virtual Library in 2005. Virtual Library facilitates access to valuable and varied Medical Databases, Research papers & thesis abstract and Invention /developments/updates in the relevant fields. An equal access has been extended to both rural & urban community. An user can search, view, save and print any piece of data/information at an affordable cost. This has also enabled to reduce the physical space taken up by library materials. Currently access to this Virtual Library is opened to all via its University website- www.tnmmu.ac.in. A separate web site exclusive for this Virtual Library is under progress.
Background: In order to full fill the main objectives of this University to promote research in areas which will act as an effective link between Health Care Delivery System and knowledge in Health Sciences, it has been become necessary for the Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University to establish various Research Institutes and also to maintain a Central Medical Library. As a first step in this direction a Library was started on 30.04.1990. The Director General of Health Services, Government of India, New Delhi has given accreditation to this University Library as a Regional Medical Library for the Southern Region. A Regional Medical Library plays an important role in supporting the mission of the University by enabling it to advance, transmit and sustain knowledge and understanding by providing and promoting access to recorded knowledge. Therefore, it is imperative that the Regional Medical Library of this University function as a centre where all Health Information is available.
TIMINGS - 8.00 am TO 10.00 pm
WORKING ON ALL THE 365 DAYS
Paediatric surgery mandatory at UG level (News)