Home > Orissa > Degree > Cuttack > Shailabala Womens College
Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack, Orissa
Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack, Orissa
Address: Plot / Street / Area
Near holy shrine of goddess Katak Chandi
Cuttack (District Cuttack)
Orissa, IndiaPin Code : 753001
Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa is a recognised institute / college. Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa is also known as Shailabala Women.
Principal of Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa is Dr. Roshnara Begum, M.A.M.Phil, Ph.D., 9437052886.
Shailabala Womens College is situated in Cuttack of Orissa state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Cuttack comes under Cuttack Tehsil, Cuttack District.
Mobile No(s) of concerned persons at Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa are Admission (I/C) 9938495090, DEO 9437365619.
email ID(s) is
Website of Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa is http://www.shailabalacollege.org.in.
Contact Details of Shailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa are : Ph: 2419796, 2414020(O)
Awarded A Grade by NAAC
Shailabala Women's (Junior) College, Cuttack
Principal Mobile: 9937175099
Admission Mobile: 9437321650
DEO Mobile: 9437365619
CoursesShailabala Womens College, Cuttack Orissa runs course(s) in Degree stream(s).
Profile of Shailabala Womens CollegeBrief History of College
Shailabala Women's College, nearly a century old college is the premier educational Institution of its kind in the state of Orissa for women education. Situated near the holy shrine of goddess Katak Chandi, the magnificent college building stands majestically on Madhusudan Road, Cuttack, the silver city of Orissa. The college is proud to bear the name of Miss Shailabala Das, the adopted daughter of Utkal Gourava Madhusudan Das.
Shailabala, in a feudal age, was in the forefront of a movement for women's uplift. She was a member of the Board of Education, constituted by the Government of Bihar and Orissa in 1912, to look into the problems of education in Orissa. Miss Sailabala Das and Mrs. Banks represented Orissa at the Board Meeting in Ranchi where it was recommended to open an intermediate college for women in Cuttack. Accordingly, intermediate classes started functioning in the premises of Ravenshaw Girls' School in the year 1913. The college along with the school was shifted in 1917 to a new locality in Choudhury Bazar.
The Intermediate Women's College was raised to the status of a first grade degree college only in 1946. The college having no separate building of its own functioned within the Ravenshaw Girls' High School with lot of difficulties, the college classes could beheld only during the morning hours. As a way out, Miss Shailabala Das in 1952 offered the residential building of Late Utkal Gourava Madhusudan Das along with the premises as a gift to accommodate the Women's College. In the same year the college was shifted to the hallowed space of the residence of Utkal Gourava Madhusudan, the architect of modern Orissa. The residence has-been sanctified by the visit of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation. Subsequently Madhu Mandir, the residential quarter of Miss Shailabala Das was sold to the government to be used for the college.
To make the college adaptable to the needs of an academic institution for higher education, a new block of rooms adjoining Madhu Smruti was built by the authorities. The University Grants Commission provided financial assistance to construct c1 new three-storied block, which now accommodates the library and the study room for the students. A hostel with a capacity to house one hundred boarders was built in 1959 on a newly acquired piece of land. Now the college has three different hostels for the students.
In 1962 .on the northern side of the public road opposite the college building, a piece of land was acquired which enabled the authority to construct a new block to accommodate the science faculties. Pre-University Science and Pre-Professional Science classes started in 1962 and 1963 respectively. Pass classes in Bachelor of Science started in 1966 and Honours classes in Science started in 1973- 74.
The college witnessed another landmark in its academic progress when Post-Graduate course in Home Science was introduced in 1982-83. Post-Graduate classes in History and Sanskrit which, began in 1993-94 were certainly another big stride in its academic leap forward. With the introduction of Honours in Computer Scie.nce in 2000-2001, the college has updated itself with the latest developments in Information Technology and Computer Education.
The college found relief with acquisition of a sizeable tract of land adjoining the college building on its western side and now there is ample space for expansion of its building. The land has been used to prepare a two hundred meter tract where the Annual Athletic Meet of the college was organized with pomp and ceremony on 6th January 2007. It has also been proposed to build a much needed college auditorium in the acquired land.
The campus is replete with memories of the epic endeavour of Utkal Gourava to find for Oriyas an identity and an honoured place. It continues to be a place of pilgrimage for patriotic souls. Pandit Jawaharal Nehru, the first prime minister of India visited the college to unveil the statue of, Madhusudan Das on the campus. Influenced by the spirit of Shailabala Das the college has a long history of success. The college has been awarded 'A' grade by the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) of the University Grants Commission. At present, the college has 2256 students on its rolls. Now if imparts education at the higher secondary, undergraduate and postgraduate levels attracting students from different parts of Orissa as well as India.
Images / newspaper cuttings related to Shailabala Womens College
Mitali has started preparations to set up company of her own (News)