Home > Maharashtra > Research > Mumbai > CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education)
CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai, Maharashtra
CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai, Maharashtra
Address: Plot / Street / Area
PB No. 7392, Kakori Camp Jaiprakash Road Versova,
Road, 7 Bungalows, Andheri West
Mumbai (District Mumbai)
Maharashtra, IndiaPin Code : 400061
CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra is a University recognised by UGC. Status: Deemed University. CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra was established on / in 27.03.1989.
CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education) is situated in Mumbai of Maharashtra state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Mumbai comes under Mumbai (Bombay) Tehsil, Mumbai District.
Fax # of CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra is 022-26361573,26348223.
email ID(s) is
Website of CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra is www.cife.edu.in.
Vice Chancellor : Dr. Dilip Kumar, 022 26363404(O) 26361656(R).
Registrar : Shri Suresh Kumar Tel: 022 26348223(O) 26326794 (R).
Contact Details of CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra are : Telephone: +91-22-26348223, 26326794
EPABX : 26361446-7-8, 26320395
Reg. Phone : 022 - 6361446
CIFE Kakinada centre:
Old Burmah Shell Area, Beach Road, Kakinada-533007
Phone 0884-2379146, Fax 2373602
CoursesCIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education), Mumbai Maharashtra runs course(s) in Education stream(s).
1. Fisheries Resources Management (FRM)
2. Inland Aquaculture (AC)
3. Mariculture (MC)
4. Freshwater Aquaculture (FWA)
5. Post Harvest Technology (PHT)
6. Fish Genetics & Biotechnology (FGB)
7. Fish Pathology & Microbiology (FPM)
8. Fish Nutrition & Biochemistry (FNB)
9. Fisheries Business Management (FBM)
1. Fisheries Resource Management
2. Inland aquaculture
4. Post Harvest Technology
5. Fish Genetics
6. Fishery Biotechnology
7. Fish Pathology & Microbiology
8. Fish Nutrition & Biochemistry
9. Fisheries Business Management
A)M. F. Sc.
Only those candidates having their Bachelor's Degree in Fisheries Science (B.F.SC.) under 10+2+4 system are eligible to apply for admission. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks or an overall grade point average (OGPA) of 6.50 out 10.00, 3.25 out of 5.00 or 2.60 out of 4.00 (for SC/ST candidates 55% marks or OGPA of 6.00 out 10.00 3.00 out of 5.00 or 2.40 out of 4.00 ). Minimum age limit is 19 years as on 31 st August of the same academic year starting on 1 st September . Admission to MFSC. Programme are conducted through Education Division of ICAR. New Delhi .
M.F. Sc. (4 years B. F. Sc. +2years P.G / 3 years B.Sc. +3years P.G. pattern/ M.Sc. offered at CIFE (Up to 1995 ) (or) D.F.Sc. Provided candidates HOLD A Bachelor's degree in Biological Science and has two years of experience in fisheries development work after obtaining D.F. Sc. In case of sponsored candidates, those holding M.Sc. in Fish and Fisheries , and related disciplines with at least two years experience in fisheries development work are also eligible to apply. The minimum age limit for admission to Ph. D. shall be 22 years. The age shall be reckoned as on 30 th September preceeding the Academic year starting on 1 st October .
Approval details: CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education) is affiliated with University of Mumbai (UoM), Mumbai (Maharashtra)
Profile of CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education)Introduction
Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), the only Deemed University for fisheries in India, is the institution of higher learning for fisheries science. CIFE has over four decades of leadership in HRD with its alumni fuelling the development of fisheries and aquaculture world wide, and has notable research and technological advancements to its credit. CIFE offers Masters and PhD programs in specialised branches of fisheries, undertakes cutting edge research, conducts capacity enhancement programs, and provides technical support and consultancy to development agencies, fishers, farmers and entrepreneurs. With a team of dedicated scientists and state-of-art infrastructure facilities, CIFE is actively partnering the knowledge led revolution in order to create fisheries and aquaculture based sustainable rural livelihoods and to ensure food and nutritional security for all.
Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), the only Deemed University for fisheries in India, is the institution of higher learning for fisheries science. For the last four decades; CIFE has been proactive in research and development of fisheries and aquaculture both in India and world wide. CIFE offers Masters and PhD programs in specialized branches of fisheries, undertakes cutting edge research, conducts capacity enhancement programs, and provides technical support and consultancy to development agencies, fishers, farmers and entrepreneurs.
With a team of dedicated scientists and state-of-art infrastructure facilities, CIFE is actively partnering the knowledge led revolution in order to create fisheries and aquaculture based sustainable rural livelihoods and to ensure food and nutritional security for all.
Over the past four and half decades of planned development, the Indian fisheries has metamorphosed from a traditional, subsistence activity into an industry. Fisheries sector has made significant contributions to the Indian economy by way of augmenting production of animal protein, employment and income generation, and foreign exchange earnings. In spite of its various achievements, the full potential of our country's fisheries resources have not been realized yet. While the progress made in some areas like aquaculture, near shore fisheries, etc. is commendable, others like open-water fisheries and deep-sea fisheries resources have hardly been exploited. Post-GATT era is likely to globalize fisheries and there by bring in not only huge investments, technology, etc. to Indian fisheries, but also fears and problems of displacement of traditional and artisanal fisheries, pollution and other associated maladies common to commercialization. Further, the unprecedented growth in aquaculture activities, particularly prawn farming, has invited many problems which are beginning to assume alarming proportions.
All this calls for altogether different developmental strategies incorporating such measures as sustainability, eco-friendliness, social audit, etc. for more rigorous but pollution free exploitation of the limitless Indian fisheries potential. The immediate input to achieve this, perhaps, is not the technology, neither the finance, but the trained and qualified manpower force to pilot Indian fisheries into the 21 st century. Thus, the human resource development issues occupy top priority in the nation's agenda on fisheries development during the coming decades.
It is in this changing national perspective of fisheries, that the Central Institute of Fisheries Education has identified its own perspective in terms of the following plans of action for the ensuing 25 years:
* To serve as a repository of information on HRD in fisheries, including database on available manpower resources and other aspects of fisheries
* To produce post-graduate professionals in fisheries through introduction of specialized
courses in emerging areas of fisheries science
* To undertake research in frontier areas of fisheries science and develop user-friendly technology packages
* To serve as a Centre of Excellence for advanced studies in frontier areas of fisheries science
* To serve as a National Facility for collaborative R & D efforts in fisheries
* To gear up its TOT programmes, to cater to the needs of fish farmers and fishermen
* To serve as an Apex Institution for national level policy formulation on fisheries
The premier alma mater for fisheries in India, CIFE was established in 1961 as an inservice training centre mainly to impart proficient training and education to the fisheries professionals where trainees were exposed to various operative learning strategies so as to equip them to face the challenges of the fisheries sector. By year 1979, CIFE had imparted a lot of talent to the inservice candidates and in recognition of the growing needs and the services provided to the sector in particular and society per se, CIFE came under the administrative control of Indian Council of Agricultural Research. In recognition of its yeomen services and expertise, CIFE was deservingly conferred the Deemed-to-be-University status by UGC in 1989.
Subsequently the scope and mandate have been widened to include education as well as research. This fostered a positive atmosphere to different stakeholders and facilitated them to fulfill their career objectives and goals. In the year 2003, CIFE Yari Road campus with state of the art infrastructure facilities was developed in an endeavor to achieve fisheries education par excellence. By 2004, CIFE has made its mark in a knowledge driven economy and in the process of enriching the quality of fisheries education, the academic programs offered by CIFE were accredited by ICAR. CIFE, since then, has been providing a rich curriculum mixed with a wide range of extracurricular activities for holistic development of fisheries professionals. CIFE continues to be a global player in fisheries academics and research by creating globally competent students and faculty through world class education.
In accordance with the changing needs of the country, the sector and the growing stature of CIFE, her mandate was revised from time to time. The present mandate which was revised in 1998 reads as follows:
To conduct Masters and Doctoral programmes in various disciplines of fisheries science and technology
To establish centres of excellence in emerging areas of fisheries science
To conduct refresher training programmes for fisheries developmental and extension personnel
To conduct basic and inter-disciplinary research in fisheries
To conduct need-based capsule/vocational training on various technologies related to fisheries and allied disciplines
To provide institutional support for consultancy and participation in sponsored projects and programmes with other institutions, agencies and industries
In view of the Vision 2025 perspective, CIFE envisages to revise its mandate as:
To conduct post graduate degree programmes in core and emerging disciplines of fisheries science
To conduct basic and strategic research in frontier areas of fisheries
To conduct demand-driven training and educational programmes for different stake holders in fisheries sector
To provide technical support, policy development support and consultancy services
CIFE centres would work within this overall Mandate. The specific objectives for each of the Centres are envisaged as below:
* To conduct one year post-graduate diploma in inland fisheries for fisheries developmental and extension personnel
* To conduct need-based training and research programmes for Eastern and North Eastern States
* To offer consultancy and advisory services in relevant areas of fisheries
* To conduct need-based training programmes for fisheries developmental and extension personnel and entrepreneurs
* To provide hands-on training to students and entrepreneurs
* To organise field demonstrations, transfer of technology programmes and advisory services on proven aquaculture technologies
* To conduct need based applied research in low cost aquaculture
* To conduct research to develop aquaculture suitable for salt-affected areas
* To provide demand driven training, extension and consultancy support to State fisheries departments, NGO's, fish farmers and entrepreneurs in field tested technologies
* To conduct demand driven training and research programmes on freshwater aquaculture for Central region
* To provide hands-on training to students and entrepreneurs
The Institute at present admits students to the P.G School under two separate stream as indicated below :
The admission policies and procedures have been prescribed by the Academic Council keeping in view the distinct needs and requirements of candidates coming from each stream. The details of these policies and procedures are described in the following paragraphs.
An advertisement for admission to PG courses is published in the leading newspapers of india each year during March /April inviting applications for admission. the last date for receipt of applications shall generally be in the last week of May.
The total number of students to be admitted in Masters and Doctoral degree orogrammes in an academic year is decided by the respective Academic Council, keeping in view the available of teaching faculty and the laboratory facilities. The number of seats available in each academic discipline is clearly indicated in the admission notice and is not altered without the concurrence of the Academic Council.
Procedure for application
Prescribed Application Form and Information Bulletin / Prospectus for the Entrance Test and Admission of Ph. D. Programmes can be obtained from the senior Admission office / Registrar, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, (Deemed University , ICAR), Fisheries University Road, seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai - 400061. Request for Information Bulletin and Application form may be made at the CIFE office through post well in advance.
1)The Information Bulletin bears a serial number at the top right corner. This number the course and the discipline to which the admission is sough must be quoted in all correspondence.
2) The Information Bulletin contains the following g enclosures.
* Two Computerised application forms which have to be filled very carefully and nearly, as per the instruction. These forms have a number printed on it as application number. The application is required to check whether this numbers is same in both the forms as well as on provisional admit card , Acknowledgement card and the information Bulletin
* Provision Admit card
* Specimen copy of Answer sheet
* Acknowledgement card
* One environment for mailing the application
3)A candidates can apply for admission to only one major subject group and give preference of subject within the group.
4)The application forms alongwith the provision Admit card and Acknowledgement card (affixed with postal stamp of the amount indicated therein and filled legibly and correctly by the applicant ) should be forwarded with necessary sets of attested copies of the documents , viz. High school certificates as a proof of date of birth , marksheet of Degree Examination passed and Sc/ST certificate ( if application ) so as to reach to the Registrar, CIFE, Versova, Mumbai - 61 on or before the last date notified. The last date for receipt of completed application form the candidates residing in Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur, Nagalands, Tipura, Sikkim, ladakh division of J & State, Lahaul & Spiti Districts and Pangi sub - division of chamba Districs of Himachal pradesh, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshwadeep (complete in all respects ) will be notified each year. Application received after the last date shall not be entertained .
5) Candidates who are in employment must submit their application through proper channel alongwith the declaration form (Specimen enclosed ) duly filled in by the employer .
6) If a candidates furnishes wrong information or supresses any relevant information, his/her admission will be cancelled
Reservations for the Scheduled Castes / Tribes
Fifteen percent of the total available seats shall be reserved for the scheduled caste. And seven and half percent for the scheduled Tribe candidates subject to their being otherwise suitable. At the time of finalisation of allocation of seats, the seats to be reserved for scheduled Caste and scheduled Tribe shall be identified and earmarked displinewise, and shall be notified in the advertisement. These reservations shall be interchangeable , i.e if sufficient number of candidates are not available to fill up the seats reserved for scheduled Tribe candidates are not these can be filled up from among suitable scheduled caste candidates within the displine. Under no circumstances , the scheduled caste and scheduled Tribe seats shall be transferable from one discipline to another discipline or from M.F.Sc. to Ph. D. Programme and vice -versa. The scheduled caste/ Tribe candidates who are selected for admission on the basis of merit as well as those who are admitted on the basis of relaxed standards may be counted against the reserved quota and there is no maximum limit on the admission of the candidates belonging to the two categories.
* Proof of date of birth.
* Matriculation (Xth) or equivalent certificate and marksheet
* 10+2/ Intermediate / Pre- University Examination / Higher Secondary certificate and marksheet .
* Bachelor's Degree certificate and Marksheet, if available
* Master's Degree certificate and Marksheet, if available.
* Scheduled caste / Tribe certificate in the proforma as at Annexurell of information Bulletin from District Magistrate of the Authorities Empowered to issue such a certificate of verfication issued not more than six months before the date of application.
* For in-service candidates, sponsorship certificate (Annexure-lll of information Bulletin ).
Provision Admit cards for the Entrance Examination to be conducted usually in july will be sent by Registered post well in advance to all eligible candidates who have submitted their application complete in all respects by the due dates.
Selection of candidates
A) Selection For M.F.Sc
A combined examination for the award of ICAR Junior Research Fellowship and admission to 100% seats of Master's Degree programme at the CIFE is conducted by the India Council of Agriculture Research , Krishi Anusandhan Bhavan, Pusa, New Delhi , in the 1 st week of June.
The subject -wise syllabi for the combined examination is given in the information Bulletin. The application form and information Bulletin can be obtained by post from Assistant Director General (EPD), ICAR< Krishi Anusandhan Bhavan, Pusa, New Delhi - 11012.
Candidates will be selected for the award of ICAR Junior Research Fellowship and admission to state Agricultural University and Deemed Universities on the basis of merit in the Entrance examination and counseling.
B) Selection For Ph. D
Admission are made on the basis of a written test and interview for Ph. D. The academic score will have weightage of 20 % for academics, 70% for subject matter written test and 105 for interview. The written test companies of a paper on subject matter of 200 marks.
Admission and Registration
1. Admission to degree programme includes,selection as per rules. Payment of prescribed fee, and registration.
All selected candidates must report in time to complete the admission formation including payment of fee and registration of courses within the prescribed time limit, otherwise the candidates forfeits his/ her claims of the seat and will be denied admission.
An Orientation programme will be held in the institute's auditorium the next day where attendance of all the students is compulsory .
2. A candidate shall be enrolled only after he/she has paid all the prescribed fees and other dues and has got himself/ herself registered for the courses by the teachers concerned in the prescribed manner. For the purpose, the registration card will be signed by the teacher's concerned for each prescribed course by the accounts representatives for fees and by the warden for seat in the hostel. A provisional registration number will be give to the students at the time of first admission to a particular degree programme . However, before allotment of the proper registration number, the students concerned will have to complete all the formalities by the end of the 1 st semester of his/her stay. Failing which the students shall not be registered in the subsequent semester.
All Prescribed fees to be paid on the first day. Students are required to regiter themselves by getting the registration cards singed by the concerned subject teacher's accounts representative for the fees and the warden for hostel.
3. Admitted students will be required to submit the Migration certificate from the University from which he/she comes. Within 2 months of admission. All other documents are required to be produced in original, at the time of registration.
4. The students shall register in the subsequent semester paying the prescribed fee and other dues on a notified date. A continuing students who does not register shall be required to pay a late fee Rs. 10 for the first day of lapse and at the rate of Rs. 2 for each subsequent day for a maximum period of 10 day within which he/she has to complete the registration, failing which the students will not be able to register for the semester.
5. During the subsequent semesters, if an eligible students happens to be outside the Institute at the time of registration in connection with his/her studies/field work preauthorized by the director or due to some other unavoidable circumstances, hr/ she may be permitted to register by post or by some other arrangement within a maximum period of 15 days from the due date on payment of late fee. However this restriction shall not be application to a students who has been deputed by the institute outside for participating in a students study programme .
Likely date of registration: First week of September
Final semester Examination: First fortnight of end of Semester 1-15 Feb. 1-14 Aug.
Images / newspaper cuttings related to CIFE (Central Institute of Fisheries Education)
PhD Programme Entrance Examination 2012 (Entrance Test)