Home > Tamil Nadu > Universities > Chennai (Madras) > Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University
Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Address:5107, H2, 2nd Avenue, 1st Floor, Anna Nagar
No. 135, East coast Road
Tamil Nadu, IndiaPin Code : 600040
Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu is a University recognised by UGC. Status: Deemed University. Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu was established on / in 21.08.2007.
Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University is situated in Chennai (Madras) of Tamil Nadu state (Province) in India. This data has been provided by www.punjabcolleges.com. Fax # of Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu is 04114-272804.
Contact Person(s) of the Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu is (are): Mr Dhinakar, Ph. +(91)-(44)-27472155, 27472157, 27472904, 27472905, email@example.com.
Mobile No(s) of concerned persons at Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu are 9381505747, 9381503030, 9840182560.
email ID(s) is
Website of Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu is www.ametuni.ac.in, www.ametindia.com, www.ametuniv.ac.in/.
Registrar : Mr Venu Gopal(Hod .), Ph. +(91)-(44)-27472804, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Details of Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu are : Ph: 044-27472155/157/904/905, 32015530
4 Year B.E. Marine Engineering
4 Year B.E. Electrical & Electronics Engineering-Marine
4 Year B.E. Harbour Engineering & Offshore Technology
4 year B.E. Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering
3 Year B.B.M. Shipping
3 Year B.Sc. Nautical Science
4 Year B.E Applied Marine Information Technology and Communitcation
4 Year B.E Electronics and Communication Engineering-Marine
4 Year B.E Petroleum and off-shore Engineering
2 Year M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management.
2 Year MBA Shipping Finance
2 Year MBA Marine Human Resource Management(Manning)
2 Year MBA Cruise Ship Hospitality Management
2 Year MSc Marine Biotechnology
2 Year MSc Marine Microbiology
2 Year M. Tech Marine Engineering Management
2 Year M. Sc Fleet Operations Management
P.G. Course with Distance Education
2 Year M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management with TNOU
1 Year Graduate in Mechanical Engineering
Higher National Diploma in Marine Engineering (In collaboration with Glasgow, U.K)
Higher National Diploma in Marine Engineering (In collaboration with South Tyneside College, U.K)
Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science (In collaboration with Glasgow, U.K)
Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science (In collaboration with South Tyneside College, U.K)
Advanced Diploma for Gas engineers for LPG/LNG ships 6 Months
Other Courses :
* STCW and GMDSS.
* Marine Electrical & Electronics Officer.
Offers the following Courses:
1. Elementary First Aid (Seats 20)
2. Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (Seats 20)
3. U.K. and Indian GMDSS Course (Seats 24)
4. Marine Engineers - Alternate training Scheme (Seats 24)
5. Medical First aid/medical Care (Seats 20 each)
6. Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (Seats 20)
7. Personal Survival technique (Seats 16)
8. Pre Sea 4- Year Engineering degree Course (Seats 96)
9. Pre Sea Training for Duck Cadets (Seats 40)
10. Proficiency in survival Craft & Rescue Boat (Seats 16)
11. Tanker Advanced training-Oil (Seats 20)
12. Tanker Familiarization Chemical (Seats 20)
13. Upgradation of specialised tanker Safety (Seats 20)
14. B.Sc (Nautical Science) In collaboration with BITS, Ranchi, Selection is base on written test and interview held during may.
15. GME in collaboration with BITS, Ranchi
16. HND in Marine Engg, and nautical Science with Glasgow College of Nautical Studies, Scotland, U.K. Eligibility: 10+2 with PCM
17. ICS-Distance learning Course offered in collaboration with Institute of Chartered Ship-Brokers (ICS), London
18. 2-Year full-time MBA (Shipping and Port Management) in collaboration with BIT, Ranchi. Eligibility: graduation with 50% marks. Selection is based on written test and interview held during May.
19. 6-month part-time Diploma in Shipping. Eligibility: Graduation or persons with Industry experience.
20. B.E. Marine Engg. (GME) in collaboration with BITS, Ranchi.
21. 3- month part-time evening courses in: (a) linear Trade, Multi Modal transport & Logistics (b) Clearing, Forwarding & Documentation, (c) Ship Broking & Chartering, (d) Ship/Port Agency & Stevedoring. Eligibility; Passed 10+2 or Industry experience.
23. Diploma in Maritime Studies/Nautical Studies (DMS/DNS)
24. Diploma in Shipping and Maritime Transportation (DSMT)
25. 4-month Marine Electrical & Electronic Engineering. Eligibility: Passed BE (EEE) with minimum 50% aggregate marks in the degree course and 50%in 10th or 12th std conducted by a recognizeed Board or University. Eyesight: Upto + or -2.5 and with no colour blindness.
Profile of Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University
AMET University, situated at kanathur, on the outskirts of the City of Chennai, is a state of the art establishment totally dedicated to the dissemination of knowledge to the Shipping Industry. It is the only University of its kind in India that caters to the needs of Shipping Industry not just in India, but the world over.
Formerly known as ACADEMY OF MARITIME EDUCATION AND TRAINING, AMET was launched on 15th February 1993. Having started with only 14 students, AMET Maintained its continuous growth during the last 14 years to have strength of 1500 students on date undergoing various Diploma, Degree & Post Graduate Degree Courses. In providing Quality
Assurance, AMET has obtained Certification to ISO 9001: 2000 Standards from Det Norske Veritas, Norway.
On 21th August 2007 AMET was conferred Deemed University status by UGC/MHRD on the strength of its Maritime courses & Training and has thus become India's first and the only University in Maritime Education.
Ensuring Maritime Training with International Standard AMET University had provided the best infrastructure in terms of class rooms with modern teaching aids, well equipped workshops for practical training, Marine workshop for hands on training on Marine Auxiliaries, Ship in campus, well furnished Hostel, Canteen facilities, Indoor & Outdoor games, Swimming pool, Medical facilities & an overall congenial atmosphere for learning by the students.
The collaborations between AMET University & the various world leaders in the Shipping Industry shall prove to be very successful & definitely benefit Indian Youth to Look forward for a career in entire range of activities in Shipping Industry globally.
The Academy of Maritime Education and Training, also known as AMET, was established on 15th February, 1993 as a private academy with the special task of looking after the requirements of the shipping industry in India and the world in general. Located a little distance away from Chennai, AMET is an ISO certified organization having all modern facilities and infrastructure.
Being the first academy of its kind set up by the private sector, the Academy of Maritime Education and Training has earned many distinctions, some of which are as follows :
First institute to have entered into an agreement on the academic front with some global maritime institutes of repute. It is the first institute in India to have both Engine and Deck program. An international institute as students from Africa and Asia come even take admission here. It is the world's largest maritime academy going by the number of students and pre-sea courses Innovative courses and programs Acts a consultancy for those who wish to establish a similar kind of academy
Affiliated Instittes of Academy of Maritime Education and Training:
* Glasgow College of Nautical Studies (GCNS)
* The Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (BIT)
* The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
* Singapore Maritime Academy
* South Tyneside College
Our Campus : The AMET University is situated on the outskirts of the city of Chennai (Madras), is a State-of-the- art establishment totally dedicated to the dissemination of knowledge to the Shipping Industry.
AMET was launched on 15th February 1993 and caters to the needs of the Shipping Industry not only in India, but worldwide. AMET is the first Maritime Academy in India to have its Quality Management System certified to conform to ISO Standards.
AMET is a private enterprise promoted by Smt. Pattammal Educational and Charitable Trust. Mr.J.Ramachandran is the Chancellor of the Trust.
Currently AMET is certified to ISO 9001:2000 QMS Standard by Det Norske Veritas till 2010 for Design, Development and Conducting Maritime Training Courses, Programmes, Examinations and Assessments.
He is also the Chairman of NAESEY (New Era Association of Educated Self Employed Youth). Through NAESEY he has generated thousands of jobs for unemployed graduates in Tamil Nadu.
AMET has signed a MOU with AP Moller Singapore to train 300 cadets per year in dual competency.
Class Rooms Equipped with
* LCD projectors
* Overhead projectors
* Slide projectors
* Public Address Systems
An Engineering Workshop with
* Ship in campus - operates in water
* Centre Lathes
* Pipe Bending Machines
* Horizontal Milling Machines
* Power saw
* Shaping Machines
* Shearing Machines
* Drilling Machines
* Six - Cylinder Marine Diesel Engine
* Grinding Machines
* Air Compressors
* Arc Welding Sets
* Gas Welding Sets
* Pneumatic Control System Board
* Universal Testing Machine
* Tensile Testing Machine
* Plate Rolling Machine
* 450 KvA Diesel Generator Set
* Turbo Charger
* Petrol and Diesel Engine test rigs
* Steering Gear Equipment
* Stream Boiler & Turbine Test Rigs
* Various types of Pumps & Valves
* Refrigeration & Air - condition Test Rigs
* Automation Lab
Computer Based Training Programmes
* Ship and Radar Simulator
* Electronic Navigation Systems Simulator
* Radar Technology
* Rules of the Road
* Light Simulator
* GMDSS Laboratory
* Power Generation
* Hands on training for all courses
* Swimming pool to Olympic Specifications
* A Computer Laboratory
* An Electronics Laboratory
* A Clinic with medical facilities
* A Hostel for 1500 cadets
* A well equipped kitchen and dining hall
* An Air - Conditioned Auditorium
* A Physics Laboratory
* A Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
* An Engineering Mechanics Laboratory
* 100 Percent power backup
* Digital Library
VISION : To upgrade AMET University to a position of pre-eminence among the world's maritime universities.
MISSION : To be the fountainhead for nurturing finest intellectual capital base for the maritime sector - worldwide.
QUALITY POLICY : AMET University is committed to provide highest quality in education and be the most preferred institution for pursuing marine and marine related courses.
This will be achieved by consistent focus on:
* Providing a conducive, vibrant, progressive and enriching learning environment
* Teaching Excellence and Research output
* Global outlook and engaging with the world through learning, teaching and research
* Attracting the best and the brightest students.
* Providing competitive advantage in gaining employment or further academic opportunities.
* Maintaining excellent links with commerce and industry both nationally and internationally.
* Complying with all applicable requirements and continually improving the effectiveness of the Quality Management system.
Facilities at AMET
The following facilities are offered at the Academy of Maritime Education and Training:
* Classrooms with overhead,slide and video projectors accompanied by public address systems
* Laboratories for all subjects and branches of study
* Engineering Workshop
* Computer Based Training Programs
* Hostels for more than 1000 cadets
* Clinics with medical amenities
* Furnished kitchen and dining hall
* Hostels for Officers
Mr.J. Ramachandran is the Chancellor of the Amet University, which operates under the aegis of AMET Trust. He is also the Chairman of a social welfare organisation called New era Association of Educated Self- Employed Youth (NAESEY) which generates self employment opportunities for the educated unemployed. He was sponsored in the year 1994 by the Government of USA to participate in a community symposium along with leading social activists from 18 other countries. The other companies headed by Mr. J. Ramachandran are Computer Higher Education and Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd (CHESS), AMET ship Management Services Pvt. Ltd., Asian institute of Management and information Technology, Academy of Aviation Education and Saraswathi Institute of Medical Science.
Capt.S Bhardwaj has over 35 years of work experience, which includes 5 years as Master of various types of ships and then 20 years of multi-disciplinary shore experience in senior and top management positions.
* Fellow of The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (UK),
* Fellow of Company of Master Mariners of India,
* Member of International Federation of Ship Masters Association, UK.
* Member of The Nautical Institute UK.
He is the recipient of the award, "Outstanding Contribution - Maritime Education and Training" at The Leadership and Excellence Awards 2008 of The Shipping and Marine World Expo held at Mumbai.
Mr. Rajesh Ramachandran is the Pro- Chancellor of the AMET University. An MBA Graduate from CARDIFF BUSINESS SCHOOL, UK looks after Finance Management and Administration of the University. He was the architect of entering into collaboratins with leading Unversities in UK and also responsible for interacting and drafting MOU's for student placement with leading shipping companies in the world. He is the youngest and most enterprising dignitary of the team.
Pro Vice Chancellor - Dr. C.B. Paul Chellakumar
* Master of Arts - English,
* Master of Business Administration (Bristol, TN, USA)
* Doctor of Philosophy-Education
Pioneer in promoting overseas education in India since 1978, and now he is in his 31st year of excellence in counselling and guiding students interested in pursuing their education abroad.
* Doctor of Letters - Honorarius - City University, CA, USA
* Doctor of Business Administration-Honorarius - Bristol University, TN, USA
* Best ENTREPRENEUR Award in 1990 - by the Governor of Tamil Nadu, India
* Gem of India Award - 2003
* Chosen as the Best CEO of the Month - Jan'04 - Business Baron Magazine
Counseling students at various level and sending them regularly to many Countries according to their background and need. Thousands of students have been helped in gaining scholarships, assistance ship, fellowship etc through his services.
* Pioneer in launching British MBA in Chennai- University of incolnshire and Humberside in 1996.
* Pioneer in introducing the Pre-MBA programme in Chennai in collaboration with University of Madras.
* Officially representing more than 100 Universities worldwide as their Advisor in India.
* Visited more than 150 Universities (campuses) across the globe
* Extended operations in Mauritius and Sri Lanka for counseling student aspirants.
* Authored and published 2 Directories, one on International Correspondence courses, and the other on International Bible Colleges, one of its kind at global level.
* Established Chances-Abroad to help qualified people and Alumnae with immigration and placement.
* Brought to Chennai the University of London - External programmes managed by the famous London School of Economics focusing on economically weaker students.
* Counselled more than 2,00,000 students personally and guided them suitably since 1978
* Regular contributor of interviews, information sessions, and live shows with local and national TV channels. Covered 36 weeks on MBA in UK, 18 weeks on Singapore Education, many live programmes interacting with students.
* Editor of the quarterly magazines, 'Campus-Abroad' and 'The Advisors'.
* Listed in the 'Who is Who' in 2009 edition of Professional Publishing of New York, USA.
* Been affectionately called as 'the Father' of the Industry
* Was the marketing Advisor for 2 years to the Indian Business School (ISB), Hyderabad.
* Elected President of the Association of Accredited Advisors on Overseas Education (India), and in that capacity brought many leading Advisors of Overseas Education to one platform with unity.
* Introduced the adoption of 10 +2 failed students with full scholarship to motivate them through a 'Foundation Course' covering personal, academic, and social areas for entry onto University.
* Introduced a few PG Diploma courses in 'Public Relations' in collaboration with Public Relations Society of India, Chennai, 'Educational Counseling' in collaboration with AAAOE and recently 'Business English Communication' and 'Event Management' and brought all these 4 courses under the collaboration of Bharathidasan University, Tamil Nadu.
* Brought to India the twinning programme of NCC Education UK enabling the students to study 6 months in India and continue to complete the course in Dubai or UK and earn MSc/MBA.
* Association of Australian Education Representatives of India
* Association of Accredited Advisors on Overseas Education
* British Management Association
* Founder President of 'Aware India' an Institution established to create awareness on human rights, health, education, environment etc., preferably by adopting a few villages, as well as starting a few old age homes with Club Culture in Chennai under the banner 'Grey Village'.
* Been involved in Social and Religious activities through 'Loving Shepherd Church', Chennai. Was the Secretary at CSI Loving Shepherd Church consisting 500 families.
* Founder Chairman of 'Small-Steps', an Institution to psychologically help cancer patients through Counseling.
Tel: 0091 - 44 - 2615 5555
E-mail : email@example.com
Mr. K. Seyadu, M.Sc ( Physics) is our Registrar . He has been associating with Maritime Training for over 19 years. He is also Management Representative for Quality Management System of AMET University besides all his other responsibilities as Registrar . He was earlier a Lecture in the Training Ship "Rahaman" at Navi Mumbai , and at the National Maritime Academy at Chennai. He has been with AMET University since its inception.
K.Dawood Basha has served the university of Madras for 38 years in different capacity and position. Has gained experience and knowledge in Rules and Regulations governing University administration. Served as independent Officer in the Campuses of the University where science/ Basic Medical Science courses are offered.
He won the appreciation and trust of Registrars and vice-chancellors from time to time. He attended workshop on Administrative Reforms at Punjab University, Chandigarh. The University of Madras placed on record his sincere and dedicated service. He retired on superannuation as deputy Registrar/ Additional Controller of Examination.
The Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET), established in 1993, has been recording phenomenal growth ever since its inception and is at present, one of the biggest Maritime Institutes in India in the Private Sector approved by the Directorate General of Shipping, Ministry of Shipping and Surface Transport, Government of India. In recognition of its achievements, AMET was conferred a Deemed-to-be University status (under De Novo Category- Emerging areas with a promise of excellence) under section 3 of University Grant Commission Act 1956, by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in August, 2007.AMET has since been renamed as AMET University.
The AMET University, under the erstwhile banner of AMET, has been conducting marine industry driven courses and programmes leading to various mandatory certification of the Directorate General of Shipping as well as diplomas and degrees of collaborating Universities. With a paradigm shift in its status as a Deemed- to- be University, it envisages a larger role for itself, namely, that of a Centre of Excellence for Higher Education and Research in the maritime, marine and allied fields. It will be the endeavor of the AMET University to emphasize on practical application of knowledge.
The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) shall be awarded to a candidate who, as per the regulations of the AMET University set out here under, has submitted a thesis based on original and independent research in any particular discipline or more than one discipline (inter-disciplinary), that makes a contribution to the advancement of knowledge, and which is approved by a board of examiners.
Consistent with the availability of the required infrastructure and the needs of the maritime industry, the AMET University shall provide facilities for research in the following areas:
* Marine Engineering
* Nautical Science
* Naval Architecture
* Offshore Engineering
* Ocean Technology
* Shipping Logistics Management
* Maritime Law and Marine Insurance.
* Maritime Fleet Operations Management
* Marine Life Sciences
* Allied/Interdisciplinary Fields
In order to accommodate general category candidates holding Post-graduate degrees and Mariners possessing UG Marine/ Marine-related degrees with senior mariners without UG degrees, a broad eligibility criteria, falling under the following six categories, have been evolved:
Candidates with Marine and Marine-related Post-graduate Degrees from recognized Universities/ PG- Diploma holders from IITs, NITs and IIMs are eligible to directly register for a Ph.D. Programme.
Mariners with UG Degree and with Certificate of Competency of appropriate level are eligible for registration only through an appropriate adjustment mechanism. (Table I)
Mariners holding Certificate of Competency as Extra-Master (FG)/ Extra-Class-I Engineer without UG Degree are eligible for registration only through an appropriate adjustment mechanism. (Table I)
Category- IV - A
Naval Officers turned Merchant Navy Officers with UG degree and possessing Certificate of Competency of appropriate level are eligible for registration only through an appropriate adjustment mechanism. (Table I)
Category- IV - B
Naval Officers turned Merchant Navy Officers without UG degree but possessing Certificate of Competency as Master (FG)/MOT 1st Class Engineer are eligible for registration only through an appropriate adjustment mechanism. (Table I)
Mariners without UG degree but possessing Certificate of Competency as Master(FG)/Mot 1ST Class Engineer from Internationally Approved Maritime Administration, are eligible for registration only through an appropriate adjustment mechanism. (Table I)
Mariners with or without UG degree but possessing Certificate of Competency as Master(FG)/MOT 1st Class Engineer and with two years full time teaching experience in a degree level Nautical Science/Marine Engineering College/Institute and with research publications, are eligible to directly register for a PhD programme.
Registration and Duration of Research
Candidates can register for a Ph.D. programme either as Full-time or Part-time candidates. Candidates who come under Category II, III, IV-A, IV-B and V can register for Ph.D. programme only after completing P.G. degree at the AMET University in respective fields.
Full-Time (FT) Category
The minimum duration for Full-time Research is three years.
Candidates registered as FT candidates shall submit the thesis after the completion of three years from the date of Registration. A further duration of two years (six months at a time) may be given to the FT candidates (i.e., a total of four extensions only). However, such candidates are required to pay full year Research Fees for every year of extension irrespective of number of remaining months in the year.
The Registration of FT candidates, who are unable to submit even after the completion of six years, shall be cancelled. However, such candidates may be permitted to re-register.
Part-Time (PT) Category
The minimum duration for Part-time Research is four years
Candidates registered as PT candidates shall submit the thesis after the completion of four years from the date of Registration. A further duration of three years (six months at a time) may be given to the PT candidates ( i.e., a total of six extensions only). However, such candidates are required to pay full year Research Fees for every year of extension irrespective of the number of remaining months in the year.
The registration of PTcandidates, who are unable to submit the thesis even after the completion of seven years, shall be cancelled. However, such candidates may be permitted to re-register
Reduction in the duration of Research by one year from the minimum required duration is permissible in respect of candidates who possess an MS/ M.Phil degree in the respective field.
Candidates can apply for Registration for Ph. D at any time during the Academic year of the University
Application for Provisional Registration
Candidates who wish to register for a Ph.D. Programme should apply in the prescribed application form obtainable from the Registrar of the University on payment of the prescribed fee for the application form. The application form, duly filled in, may be submitted to the Registrar with the prescribed Registration fee. (As prescribed in Appendix - I)
Every applicant who satisfies all the conditions prescribed in the Regulations, shall, after approval by the Board of Research on behalf of the University, be provisionally registered for the Ph.D. degree programme
Supervisor for Research
Every candidate for the Ph.D. degree shall work under the continuous supervision of a recognized supervisor. In case of inter-disciplinary research, a candidate may have a co-guide if the supervisor so desires. No immediate or close relative of the candidate shall act as a supervisor.
Qualification and Recognition
* Normally any faculty member of the AMET University who holds a Ph.D. degree in the area in which the candidate wishes to do research shall be the supervisor.
* A candidate may also register under any faculty member of the AMET University, who holds a Ph.D. degree not in the relevant area but in an area which is closely related to the chosen area of research under the same faculty/department. In such a case there shall be a co-guide from outside the University, but with a Ph.D. degree in the relevant area. In case the co-guide is from the marine industry, the requirement of Ph.D. shall be waived in lieu of the vast industrial experience of the co-guide.
* A candidate may choose his/her supervisor from the list of Board of Research Members, who holds a Ph.D. degree in the relevant area, with the consent of the chosen member. If the chosen Supervisor's Ph.D. degree is not in the relevant area, the candidate shall have a co-guide with a Ph. D, degree in the relevant area
* If the candidate's chosen area of research is such that he/she cannot choose a supervisor from the above three options, he/she can seek the help of the Board of Research. The Board of Research shall have the power and discretion to nominate a suitable supervisor (with his consent) from inside/ outside the University with or without a co-guide.
Number of candidates under a supervisor
* At any point of time, the total number of candidates (including part-time scholars) registered under one supervisor for the Ph.D.degree, shall not exceed ten.
Images / newspaper cuttings related to Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University
BE Marine Engineering (Admission Notice)
Summary: Academy of Maritime Education and Training Deemed University, Chennai (Madras) Tamil Nadu website, mobile, contact address and approval / recognition details.